Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frankderosa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Can my employer require unpaid work for an hourly employee?
    My employer has set up a system where we work on projects and each of these has a specific budget. When the budget runs out, we stop getting paid to work on that project. We often find ways around this so it isn't always a problem, but last week I was directed to complete several projects with no remaining budget.

I am an hourly employee, and so I am paid for the time I log on these projects. Last week, I logged 34 hours of work, but I will be paid for 17 of it because that's all the budget there is on those projects.

One of my co-workers is also in the same situation. We would both appreciate any assistance you can offer - we need our jobs, but we'd really like to be able to tell our boss, definitively, that he can't require us to work these hours without some compensation.

Thanks,
    Frank
    julietmarie Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Nov 15, 2009, 01:15 PM

NO. If you are in the USA and an hourly employee (timecard) you can not work and not be paid for it.
    frankderosa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 02:49 AM
    That's me, USA and I track hours. Thanks! You wouldn't know if any particular part of the law applies here, would you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hourly rate of a salaried employee [ 2 Answers ]

I am needing to figure out an employee's hourly rate by taking his total income from last year, and divide or multiply it by 52 and times or divide by 12... HELP I can't figure out the math... :eek:

Hourly employee loses hours [ 1 Answers ]

If an hourly employee is required to attend a training session and the session ends earlier than their normal work day hours, what is normal pay practice; pay them for their normal work day hours or only the hours they attended the training session?

Contractor Suing For Alleged Unpaid Hourly Wages [ 1 Answers ]

A contractor is suing me for my allegedly not payng him for some 'hourly unpaid wages' using his terminology. There are many issues regarding the work he did, the quality of the work and much work paid but not done. The point being I was willing to leave well enough alone... and if he was...

Can I Take An Employee from Salary to only Hourly [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who exhausts her salary pay by only getting less than lets say 32 hours or more sometimes a week. She is nonexempt and gets overtime for anything over 40 hours. She has assistance on the overtime and never does it alone. Can we change an employee from salary to hourly only.

View more questions Search