Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mazzie Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2006, 06:31 PM
    No safe mode
    I have a 3 yr old Compaq desktop with 98SE on it. It keeps locking up and when I try to start in safe mode, it locks also. Any ideas on what the problem is? :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Not really, not enough info to go on. Sounds like a driver problem, though. Have you tried reinstalling Windows? How much RAM do you have?

You might also try booting to a DOS prompt and typing SCANREG /FIX. Also try running SCANDISK from a DOS prompt.

Jan 8, 2006, 07:05 PM
    More info
    PIII, 1Ghz,128 RAM. What is your "opinion" of Regsitry Mechanic?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 9, 2006, 06:46 AM
    I have heard good reviews of Registry Mechanic and I did use it on occasion, it's a pretty good tool.

You appear to have enough RAM, though going up to 256 should help. One thing you need to keep in mind is System Resources. These are finite pools of RAM that store info about the current state of Windows. When you run low on System Resources you are in danger of freezes and crashes.

Run MSCONFIG and check the Startup tab. See what might be loading. You might also want to do virus and spyware scans.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2006, 06:47 AM
    Win98
    Hi, Mazzie,
    I also use Win98SE, and if you don't have a hard drive problem, it does take a lot of maintenance, much more than 2000, or other systems above it.
    As another suggested, try running scanreg /fix.
    You can that as follows:

Registry Repair should be done whenever there are problems:

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it pressed down (or release and press, release and press) until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:\>
    Type in SCANDISK , all small letters, and it will look like:
    C:\>SCANDISK , then press Enter. Takes about 5 min. maybe.
    When finished:
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:\>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.

If that doesn't get you back to the normal desktop, then I would use your Win98SE install CD's, and try reinstalling windows. Have you reinstalled windows within a year? Normally, it has to be reinstalled once a year with Win98/98SE.
    If that doesn't work, please post back.

Jan 9, 2006, 12:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who responded. I think I will put another 128 in for the guy. I have checked for ad/spy/viruses and all are clean. I will also check the registry. I will keep you posted. Oh, also, the guys dad gave him a 256 flash drive and it locks up windows. Later...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After winXP reinstall, screen looks like Safe Mode? 64 bit? How do I fix it? [ 7 Answers ]

I had to reinstall Windows XP on my parents computer and now, everything is HUGE! It looks like Safe Mode but with the background display and everything else in the XP style. Its like a 64 bit gaming system or something... How do I get it back to normal?

Symantec Problems in Safe Mode [ 5 Answers ]

I am infected with Trojan Startpage and following instructions from Symantec need to run AV in safe mode. I am not very knowledgeable on computers but managed to get XP to start in safe mode. When I try to run Symantec Antivirus it fails to start. It throws up an error that asks me whether I...

Unable to Access Safe Mode in XP SP2 [ 6 Answers ]

I am unable to start in Safe Mode in XPSP2, either by hitting F8 during boot up or using msconfig: BOOTINI/SAFEBOOT. Start up will not enter Safe Mode, but simply returns to the start up choices each time. Because of this, when I tried the msconfig method, the PC kept cycling and I could not enter...

Safe Mode [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I know how to access "safe mode", and have used it a couple of times to correct problems, following instructions, but can someone explain please, exactly what it is? Thank you.

Safe mode [ 1 Answers ]

I'm using ME 2000 and cannot get out of safe mode, even after selecting normal during the start up. How can disable the start up mode and return to normal?

View more questions Search