Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stefani1 Posts: 47, Reputation: 4

May 28, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Brown spots on my hands?
    I recently have noticed these brown freckle looking spots on both hands. I do tan a lot and love to be out sunning. But I am not sure if these spots are related to sun damage? It almost looks like my hands are dirty by both thumbs little dark dots, freckle looking. Almost like when older people have those liver spots? They just appeared recently after I came back from Can Cun Mexico. Any feedback as to what this might be? And if andhow I can get rid of it?:(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 28, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Its from the sun, I have them too but don't worry about it. I garden a lot and can't wear gloves so my hands are quite dark.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

May 28, 2007, 10:31 AM
    From your description, it sounds like sun spots. They are produced when exposed to the sun and often seen in fair skin people. If you are concerned about the spots, you can see a dermatologist. Sun spots can be removed with laser treatments, microdermabrasion or chemical peels. But you can't afford to see a dermatologist for treatments, look for topical over-the counter bleaching creams that contains hydroquinone or alpha hydroxy acids to help reduce and fade the spots.

If you go out in the sun remember to wear a sunscreen.
    stefani1 Posts: 47, Reputation: 4

May 28, 2007, 01:05 PM
    I figured it was from so much sun exposure. Darn... OK well at least I learned my lesson to layer on the sunscreen. Thank you guys for your time
    mlbiscuit Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Jul 5, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stefani1
    I recently have noticed these brown freckle looking spots on both hands. I do tan alot and love to be out sunning. But I am not sure if these spots are related to sun damage? It alomst looks like my hands are dirty by both thumbs little dark dots, freckle looking. Almost like when older people have those liver spots? They just appeared recently after I came back from Can Cun Mexico. Any feedback as to what this might be? And if andhow I can get rid of it?:(
    I have them too. I believe it is from ten years of no top on the jeep while living in the tropics. I had no luck with esoterica fade cream. I had a little success with 12.5% TCA chemical peel. I plan on repeating it and maybe trying a stronger concentration. The instructions say not to scratch but I did on one hand and it proved better results. I think this is the route to go short of laser treatment from the dermatologist. I did the peel myself at home, it is really afforable on line.
    wildlifebec Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 03:36 PM
    I have the same spots. They are not sun spots. Sun spots are actually a fungus and turn patches of your skin white, not brown. The spots everyone seems to be getting occur after sun exposure. I got them in the Keys and went to the dermatologist afterwards. He said its from limes or mangoes. They contain a photoreactive agent called bergamot, which if you get it on your skin then go in the sun it will turn brown. They fade in a month or two don't worry. I cannot wait until they disappear
    erin7799 Posts: 159, Reputation: 32

Jul 29, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Everyone's probably thinking that I am just a walking advertisement for AVON but they do seem to have a lot of products that fit everyone's needs on here. So, AVON sells products specifically meant for Aging Skin. Though the spots may not be from Aging, they sell a hand cream that fades/diminishes those spots. :) It's only like $2.99.
    kylanaleze Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildlifebec
    I have the same spots. They are not sun spots. Sun spots are actually a fungus and turn patches of your skin white, not brown. The spots everyone seems to be getting occur after sun exposure. I got them in the Keys and went to the dermatologist afterwards. He said its from limes or mangoes. They contain a photoreactive agent called bergamot, which if you get it on your skin then go in the sun it will turn brown. They fade in a month or two dont worry. I cannot wait til they disappear

Bless you!! This makes complete sense. I was working a second job where I was using limes the whole time and I would go and tan afterwards. I thought I was developing age/sun spots or worse yet skin cancer. You just made my day! :D
    jls2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildlifebec View Post
    I have the same spots. They are not sun spots. Sun spots are actually a fungus and turn patches of your skin white, not brown. The spots everyone seems to be getting occur after sun exposure. I got them in the Keys and went to the dermatologist afterwards. He said its from limes or mangoes. They contain a photoreactive agent called bergamot, which if you get it on your skin then go in the sun it will turn brown. They fade in a month or two dont worry. I cannot wait til they disappear
    WOW, I cannot believe I actually found a legit answer! I have the same spots too... I reember having them once last summer as well, but they went away?? I like to put fresh lime in my beer, as I did last weekend while being out by the pool all day. I am left handed and the spots are located on and between my thumb and forefinger! Thanks so much... what a weight off my shoulders!
    ajax226 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Me too! It is weird to look at your hands and they are different! My right hand is smooth and even, my left hand has those little spots between my thumb and index finger... last weekend I was uncharacteristically drinking corona with lime... what the hell is wrong with lime that it turns your skin dark? That's why I drink Miller Lite, damnitt!
    ajax226 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Me too! It is weird to look at your hands and they are different! My right hand is smooth and even, my left hand has those little spots between my thumb and index finger... last weekend I was uncharacteristically drinking corona with lime... what the hell is wrong with lime that it turns your skin dark? That's why I drink Miller Lite, damnitt!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2009, 11:28 AM

Yeah they are probably liver spots it could just be you have a sluggish liver.
    Try taking digestive enzymes to help aid your digestion.
    swhite1056 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 10:03 AM
    Wow, I came online to see what these spots between my thumb and index finger were and I drink Corona all the time in the summer with a ton of limes. I was nervous it was skin cancer, but I feel much better. Thanks!
    swhite1056 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 10:03 AM
    Wow, I came online to see what these spots between my thumb and index finger were and I drink Corona all the time in the summer with a ton of limes. I was nervous it was skin cancer, but I feel much better. Thanks!
    lindsey18 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2009, 08:17 AM

If its just a suntan you can rub some fresh tomatoes and wash off after half an hour, continue using it until it fades completely. I read it in some beauty blog.
    catasmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2010, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildlifebec View Post
    I'm so siked I found this answer! I was really confused why I had this pattern of spots on my hands starting from my thumb going up several inches after my wrist. I made ceviche a few days ago and then sat out in the sun. The spots go exactly up to the level that my hands were submerged in lime juice while mixing my ingredients... WHAT A RELIEF! THANK YOU
    kna6707 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 08:13 AM
    Wow! That's so weird. I knew there should be an explanation for this phenomenon when I saw another website where numerous young females had the same brown spots on their hand between the thumb and index finger, except I didn't find the answer until I came upon this website. This weekend, I was squeezing limes for my ceviche right before taking it to the beach for a picnic. I laid out in the sun for at least an hour and now I have these small flat brown spots on my right hand between the first and second metacarpals (the thumb and index finger). What a relief... I thought I was going to die of cancer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Itchy spots on palms of hands [ 5 Answers ]

My girlfriend for the past year has had 1/4" spots on the palms of her hands that become so itchy that the only way she relieves it is by breaking the epidermis by scratching. One GP gave her some cream for it but it didn't help. At any one time there is 1 or 2 sores on each hand. She can't...

Brown spots with blisters on hands, spreading? [ 4 Answers ]

I have had brown spots on my hands for three weeks now and it doesn't spread to anywhere else on my body but just from one hand to other. It started as a blister that would never pop and purplish skin to brown peeling skin. But the skin that has been peeling is red and weird looking, please help,...

Brown spots on my face. [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, umm... so I'm writing this because my face is messed up. I have brown spots on my face. . I have no pimples or acne, I used to. But then they went away. All that's left are the brown spots on my face. What should I use to make the brown spots go away? Please help me out here.

Brown Spots [ 3 Answers ]

I have a horrid biggish brown spot on my face which I really hate. How can I get rid of it without having laser treatment?

Brown Spots [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question i came off my peroid 5 days ago. And know i am spoting brown stuff. Do any one know what it is? :confused:

View more questions Search