Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike0212 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 05:23 PM
    Car Pedestrian with Minimum Insurance
    I was driving my vehicle at apprx. 8:30 at night, and a pedestrian stepped into the road,and I struck him. A complete police investigation was done and it was determined that I was not at fault, the individual was crossing where there was no pedestrian crossing or cross street. He suffered broken legs and some head injuries. I live in upstate NY, my insurance has the minimum coverages and I have just learned that his family is filing suit. I am single, have no property, live on two part-time jobs. What should I expect, will I have to live the rest of my life fearing being garnished and not ever being able to buy a home ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2011, 06:22 PM
    First he has to win. Even if you have minimum insurance your carrier will fight the suit for you. Just turn it over to them and stop worrying.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2011, 06:47 PM
    Yes, of course they will sue, but they have to prove fault and the investigation done will help your case.

Why do you believe they will win ? Is there something that happened that was not told to the police ?
    Mike0212 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 07:08 PM
    Sorry that I gave the impression that I thought they might win, if justice and the facts prevail, I know they have no case. Guess I am just scared of the what if's, they hired the local TV ad "we''ll get u money "lawyers and as a young adult,(25) I have never faced anything like this before. Thanks for the responses, appreciate the support.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2011, 07:19 PM
    That may even work best for you, since the TV lawyer is not going to put a lot of work into a case if he does not think he will get money, They file the law suit and then they will try to cut a deal with your insurance company, very very often, the insurance company knows it costs them ( so many 1000 dollars) to fight a case, and will pay off a small amount just to make it go away.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2011, 10:06 AM
    I haven't seen an award in an auto accident go over the policy limits in NY in many, many years. I've seen huge awards reduced to the face amount of the policy.

Will the pedestrian get something for pain and suffering? Probably. Will it exceed your policy limits? I very, very, very much doubt it. And if it does, it will get reduced.

(I'm a liability investigator in NY)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flack for having minimum car insurance [ 5 Answers ]

In another thread I was slammed for having the minimum car insurance and being ignorant. The person saying so even berated me for not having comp and collision, which last time I looked covers the policy holder only. I have the minimum because I have a 14 year old Honda which I rarely drive,...

Can my sister's insurance be responsible if I drove her car without insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I drove my sister's car thinking my own insurance covered this. Unfortunately I didn't realise I wasn't covered due to my being the named driver. Now I am being charged for driving without insurance and the other person and his passenger are going to claim against me for damages to car and...

Does my insurance company have to pay for damages to a car with no insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was at fault for a car accident, however the other person had no insurance. In the state of Indiana you must have insurance. My question is does my insurance have to pay the other person damages? Also can I report this person to police department for false information on a legal report...

Car Accident Involving Pedestrian [ 4 Answers ]

Here's the scenario: a driver hits a pedestrian. Pedestrian's attorney says that he has a fractured skull and other serious injuries and that his medical bills are over $40,000. Driver's insurance policy limit does not exceed $100,000. What are the chances that the case won't be settled within that...

View more questions Search