Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catwoman57 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 11:44 AM
    Heat pumps in cold weather
    Do heat pumps have heating elements?
    My thermastat is set for 68 degrees but when I got up in the middle of the night is was cold to me so I checked the thermastat and even though it was set at 68 before I went to bed the actual only said 57. It is running but not getting up to the temperatur the thermastat is set at. I have using enmergency heat when I go to bed.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Heat pumps are only efficient down to a certain outside temprature.

You might be referring to what's known as emergency or Auxiliary heat, which might usually be electric (but could be gas or something else) but installed on your indoor portion of the home Heating Cooling unit.

What were the outdoor tempratures the night you mentioned?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2010, 11:57 AM
    Do heat pumps have heating elements? No

What is the outside temp? What kind of emergency heat do you have? Gas-oil-electric? Is it working ?

Lots more info is needed
    catwoman57 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 12:25 PM

The outside temperature is about high 30's at night. I have electric heat for the emergency heat. Yes, it works when I turn it on. I have just heard though it costs more to heat the house that way. It is mid 40's during the day.
    This is the answers to my previous post.
    catwoman57
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 12:58 PM
    I have just heard though it costs more to heat the house that way. it is mid 40's during the day.

You have a choice. Pay for the electric to keep warm or be cold. Heat pumps as mentioned before only work well to a given temperature so you will have to use the emergency/resistance heat to keep warm when colder temperatures hit. In most areas it is a bit warmer during the day than at night.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:06 PM
    Keep the filters clean more so if you have indoor pets, make sure all vents (return and supply ) are clear and open, you might look at improving the house heat lose,around windows and doors, set tstat a couple- three degrees lower will help on the operating expense

We all have to pay through the nose to keep comfy
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:31 PM
    The 30's is about the limit on a system in top tune.

When was the unit last serviced? Is the pump running constantly? Is there icing on the indoor evaporator/condensor unit (if its running constantly its highly possible it is)? I'd look for that... If it goes on and off all night (but not frequently) then its likely working fine, and just too cold outside.

If you can say yes on the last two questions... the freon is low (or the pump is worn out) and the system isn't cycling long enough to eliminate that from happening. And you need to call for a service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump and cold weather [ 18 Answers ]

I have a couple of questions about a heat pump. I guess I need to do a little explaining first. I have an American Standard air exchanger heat pump with electrical resistance backup. The system has the original mechanical thermostat with separate contacts for the compressor and for the...

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 3 Answers ]

I have never had a heat pump before so am not sure what the problem is, first of all it was coated with a white substance for quite awhile. The top of it was free of stuff, fan running etc. The top foot or so on the side woul come off if you scraped it off the bottom white stuff was more like ice....

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

Is a heat pump efficient in a climate like N. Minnesota where temps can be below 0 for extended periods? GSJ

Proper procedure in attaching manifold gauges on heat pumps during cold weather [ 3 Answers ]

To get the proper pressure and temperature reading using manifold gauges on a heat pump during cold weather; knowing the reversing valve will reverse the both coil functions in the system, where do I attach the manifold gauges since there are 4 service ports on a heat pump during very cold weather?

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

I just want to know at what level should a rheem heat pump be caple of heating a house down to. It won't get past 30 and I have done countless things to it. Its 3 years old and has never done what I was told it should do. I was told to around 0 and its not even close to that. I put commercial grade...

View more questions Search