Ask
    lisantine Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Peer pressure
    What is teen peer pressure and how can people avoid it
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Peers are people who are the same age and similar social background to yourself. Peer pressure is when these people make you feel like you have to do something in order to 'fit in' and be part of the group, or to be 'cool.' It when this group of people try to get you to change your morals, ideologies, or general attitude so that you are more like them.

For example if you went to a party and some of your friends and acquaintances were smoking and asked you if you wanted to. That's not peer pressure but if they then said you were too immature or they weren't surprised of you didn't want to because you had always been such a goodie two shoes anyway, that would be.

How to avoid it? Be comfortable in yourself. You don't have to do everything everyone else is doing. Just because your best friend likes to drink a half a litre of vodka a night doesn't mean you have to too. Know your own limits and values and stick to them.

Try to avoid situations where you know you will be put under pressure. For example I don't go to parties with people who I know are really into drugs, because I don't want to be in that environment.

People can exert peer pressure without even knowing it. Remember not to make enemies out of everyone by fighting anyone who tries to make you do something your not into. Just deftly redirect the situation, 'no I don't fancy a drink right now, I've got to be up early tomorrow. I'll head off soon anyway.' And remove yourself form high pressure situations.

Common things teens pressure each other to do include, having sex, dressing a certain way, drinking, smoking, drugs and petty crime. Remember your morals and boundaries don't cross them to feel like part of a group.

Hope this ramble helps!
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Oct 22, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Peer pressure is simply

When one of or several of your peers (people your age) pressure you into doing something you don't want to do. Whether it be drugs sex alcohol etc. etc.

As a side note most of these people that will try to convince you to do something you don't agree with you will consider your friends... please DO NOT be mislead these people are NOT your friends. Because if they were they would never ask you to do something you weren't comfortable with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peer to Peer sharing [ 2 Answers ]

My Os is windows NT, I downloaded the bittorrent software and also bittorrent files but they refuse to play even though I Have downloaded the latest versions windows media and divX. My computer does not have the software to play dvds is this Required to play torrent files? If it is required...

Peer to peer sharing [ 3 Answers ]

Any suggestions for the best peer to peer sharing.. Much better if it is free.. Tnx..

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

Solid Peer [ 7 Answers ]

I am new to this site so I hope Iv'e clicked on to the right section, my problem every time I go on the net I am plagued by this pop up "Solid Peer" how do I stop it invading my computer? Thanks Nev Grant

View more questions Search