Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Reef215's Avatar
    Reef215 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #21

    Feb 17, 2009, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Thank you Reef....

    ALWAYS remember: 'YOU' always bring the PROFESSIONALISM to the job. I really do not like cocktail parties but I have to attend some anyway...(sigh). I realize that most Americans do not want to clean toilets, think about cleaning toilets or talk about cleaning toilets. WE are and acceptable nuisance to some degree. But that is ok, because this attitude , for the most part doesn't affect me. Trust me, I EARN more income than most of these nicely dressed people or 'near do wells.' NO, there is no anger or anguish on my part, I conduct myself in a way that commands respect. I am not trying to be egoistical here at all, but I bring the professionalism to my work and social events. All the things that I mentioned in my earlier posts; posture, eye contact, tone of voice, etc...apply, always.

    Funny story, once while attending one of those parties where you hold your wine glass oh so appropriately with your little finger held out so you look like you might know what you are doing....

    I was approached by a finely dressed attractive lady who, while standing very close to me, smiled brightly and politely asked me my name and what was it that I do for a living?

    Tired of the reaction that was usually given to my answer, and I might say maybe a bit enumerated, I looked deeply into her eyes, paused, spoke with a clear voice that 'I clean toilets.' Well, not knowing how to respond to this answer....she did the fastest spin in high heels that I ever saw and hurried back to the wine bar....laughed my a$$ off., not really, but I sure smiled to myself though.

    Sorry, sometimes you just have to. People will treat you as you want to be treated IF you bring that professionalism with you always. (Not necessarily the one I mentioned above though.)

    Phone sales:

    Here is something you may want to read. Sometimes what you need is something along the lines of a script. But you have to be flexible, always. Be alert, listen and be ready to 'join' the conversation and not simply stick word by word with the transcript;

    Mr. Inside Sales - Top 20% Training

    I have read many, this one is simple and to the point and useful.

    Stringer

    :) WOW, that is HILARIOUS! I really can't wait for the day to say I clean toilets for a living and have someone look down on me just for them to see me drive off in a car that they only can dream of.

    And just from the numbers you told me earlier I definitely know that the potential to earn more than most "turn your nose up" jobs is there, and I want to get there!

    Now I have another question about management/supervisors. Now... my purpose to getting into business is to create jobs, create wealth, establish a well respected company, and have free time as well. And I know that I will not be able to do that and manage or supervise my entire operation. How do you handle supervisor positions?

    Like if I use your example above of making 2000.00 for a building, I would imagine that the worker gets paid anywhere from 700.00 to 1100.00 and about 150-200.00 go into other expenses. I was thinking paying a manager/supervisor an average of 100.00 per building but obviously that would only work if I had like 30 buildings or more for it to average a respectable salary so that I would be able to get a quality supervisor, which then seems like to many buildings for one person to handle which puts me back to supervising them myself (and only a low number) which would be like owning my own job. And I want to start a company that can run (and hopefully grow) with minimal involvement on my part (thanks to an extremely well thought out system of operating the business on a daily basis) Im not lazy in the slightest, but I don't believe a company is an actual company that if the owner gets sick or unable to work than the company goes in the toilet. *pun intended* :)
    Stringer's Avatar
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert
     
    #22

    Feb 17, 2009, 04:51 PM

    Hey Reef,

    I don't have the time at the moment, but I will address your above response later, soon. I have some bones of contention with some of it...

    Here is another on Cold calls that is interesting;

    Cold Calling : Sell : How To : Eric Wolfram's Writing
    Reef215's Avatar
    Reef215 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #23

    Feb 17, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Hey Reef,

    I don't have the time at the moment, but I will address your above response later, soon. I have some bones of contention with some of it......

    Here is another on Cold calls that is interesting;

    Cold Calling : Sell : How To : Eric Wolfram's Writing

    Ok, thanks! Hey take your time, I just appreciate all of the information you guys are giving me.
    And I am really digging all of the cold call scripts... thank you for the links.
    Stringer's Avatar
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert
     
    #24

    Feb 17, 2009, 07:39 PM

    I think that between Clough's advice and finding some time to make some direct calls that you will find success if you give it all you've got. You have to have faith in yourself and what you are doing... I put a mortgage on my home 17 years ago when I started and for the first year pulled in a net of about $2,500.00 net per month. I had to succeed I gave it everything I had (sometimes I didn't sleep for days on end), failure was never an option, whatever it took...
    We, my business partner and I did not have a 'supervisor' for the first 11 months. We did everything; prospecting, sales, supervising, hiring, payroll, customer service, bidding, etc.

    "(sometimes I didn't sleep for days on end)"; I wasn't kidding Reef.

    To make this or any start-up company successful, you have to dig your teeth into it; heart, soul and time...

    On the average, only 3 out every 10 new companies succeed. One of the reasons (beside funding, planning and new business) is that they want to be a part time or an absentee owner.

    Well, maybe after a few years and you have the funds and your infra structure is solid and in place... But even then Reef, no one will care as much, worry as much, or mean as much to the company as the owner... trust me... no one.

    I may have misunderstood what you were trying to say in your post # 21. But trying to run a company with a semi-hands on attitude will only work if you have a product/service that NO ONE ELSE has and certainly that is not the case.

    The only reason that I could see you hiring and taking on the 'expense' of a supervisor in the beginning would be language/communication with your crew/s.

    I have thirty five years experience in hiring good supervisors. Presently, we provide each of our 10 supervisors with a new van (including insurance), gasoline, health insurance, profit sharing, 401K, expenses, uniforms, complete structured written and field training, a base salary of $3,500.00 per month, plus a certain amount of dollars for every 'man hour' that they manage, which brings their monthly average income to approximately $4,750.00.

    Is that we gave our first supervisor? Nowhere near that, I could never afford that then. I was fortunate in that I found a great person that wanted to grow with us. And he became our Operations Director at $75,000.00 a year. I helped him start is own company, he is a good friend and also a competitor now.

    You have to 'do it all' in the beginning 2-3 years. If you cannot do everything that you are asking your crews and supervisors to do, they WILL loose their respect and the lose of that will loose their hearts. If they know that what you tell them is honest and from experience, most will go around the earth for you.

    Another thing; never miss a payroll or payroll date... never, no matter what, no matter where you have to get it, borrow it, etc... don't miss a payroll ever.

    These three companies that I own now are successful. They are not my first or second. I had two other companies over the years each made money and each failed for various reasons. But, I learned something from each one. The main thing is you have to put your heart, your time, your money and your life into it to be successful Reef, Anything less... and your odds are probably less than the 3 out of 10 I spoke of.

    I'll guess that you probably don't want to rate this response... :)

    Stringer
    Reef215's Avatar
    Reef215 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #25

    Feb 17, 2009, 09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    We, my business partner and I did not have a 'supervisor' for the first 11 months. We did everything; prospecting, sales, supervising, hiring, payroll, customer service, bidding, etc.

    "(sometimes I didn't sleep for days on end)"; I wasn't kidding Reef.

    To make this or any start-up company successful, you have to dig your teeth into it; heart, soul and time....

    On the average, only 3 out every 10 new companies succeed. One of the reasons (beside funding, planning and new business) is that they want to be a part time or an absentee owner.

    Well, maybe after a few years and you have the funds and your infra structure is solid and in place...But even then Reef, no one will care as much, worry as much, or mean as much to the company as the owner...trust me...no one.

    I may have misunderstood what you were trying to say in your post # 21. But trying to run a company with a semi-hands on attitude will only work if you have a product/service that NO ONE ELSE has and certainly that is not the case.

    The only reason that I could see you hiring and taking on the 'expense' of a supervisor in the beginning would be language/communication with your crew/s.

    I have thirty five years experience in hiring good supervisors. Presently, we provide each of our 10 supervisors with a new van (including insurance), gasoline, health insurance, profit sharing, 401K, expenses, uniforms, complete structured written and field training, a base salary of $3,500.00 per month, plus a certain amount of dollars for every 'man hour' that they manage, which brings their monthly average income to approximately $4,750.00.

    Is that we gave our first supervisor? Nowhere near that, I could never afford that then. I was fortunate in that I found a great person that wanted to grow with us. And he became our Operations Director at $75,000.00 a year. I helped him start is own company, he is a good friend and also a competitor now.

    You have to 'do it all' in the beginning 2-3 years. If you cannot do everything that you are asking your crews and supervisors to do, they WILL loose their respect and the lose of that will loose their hearts. If they know that what you tell them is honest and from experience, most will go around the earth for you.

    Another thing; never miss a payroll or payroll date...never, no matter what, no matter where you have to get it, borrow it, etc...don't miss a payroll ever.

    These three companies that I own now are successful. They are not my first or second. I had two other companies over the years each made money and each failed for various reasons. But, I learned something from each one. The main thing is you have to put your heart, your time, your money and your your life into it to be successful Reef, Anything less...and your odds are probably less than the 3 out of 10 I spoke of.

    I'll guess that you probably don't want to rate this response....:)

    Stringer
    Hey Stringer,

    You know something I agree with you 110.00% and I have been trying to rate all of your answers as great but it keeps telling me "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Stringer again."

    You know something, you right... you absolutely right. This has been a recurring problem in my life for the past 6 - 7 years. The problem that I can get something for nothing, or something for next to nothing. I've always had great ideas... even some brilliant ideas, and I always assumed that just because I have a great idea that it should be sufficeint enough for me to succeed. 9 years ago I let a multi-million dollar opportunity slip away from my hands because I was to lazy/scared to continue with "cold calling" angel investors to fund an idea. And as the saying goes : "it costs to be the boss, you have to pay your dues" and I haven't paid my dues. Even when I was involved with successful money producing ventures I figured out ways to do so little that they crumbled right before me. And I've known this was my problem for 6 - 7 years now... and the crazy thing is. When ever I worked hard, I have been wildly successful. One summer I created 30K in net profits starting a sneaker business and let it fall by the wayside because I didn't do the necessary steps to help it succeed even though I knew what needed to be done.

    I have listened to everyone from zig ziglar, les brown, dennis waitley, and a lot of sales gurus whose seminars I've attended... and it was at a les brown seminar when les "diagnosed" me as being an educated derlict,to afraid to get my hands dirty and my feelings hurt, to scared of humuliation and rejection to be disciplined enough to move forward with my goals. And that fired me up and I had some success immeadiately after and then I digressed again. I know my problem is consistentcy, and not emotionally detaching myself from rejection or the expectation of others. And I've been "working" (code for trying but not really) on it for 6 - 7 years... but now I am at a point where I can't "work" on it anymore. I don't have the luxury to "play" around anymore and I HAVE to get something done or the consequence could be dire!

    So currently on my phone I have "Discipline and Deliberate Practice" and "Navy Seal Millionaire Training". The 1st is to remind me that only discipline, sacrifice and hard work will bring success.. and the 2nd one is a reminder that navy seals are an elite fraction of all the military personnel, and this isn't because navy seals are always the strongest physically, or the fastest, but because they have the strongest mindset. And that if I take that same mindset in put it towards making money then I could be a millionaire.

    You're right... I have to put in the work before I can expect someone else to do it for me.
    Stringer's Avatar
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert
     
    #26

    Feb 17, 2009, 10:33 PM

    I don't really know you Reef. But if you are serious then I am willing to help all I can.

    We are all a little like that and I have met many people who are a lot like that in my life. At one point in my career I was the National Sales Trainer for Republic Steel Corporation. The sales people were hired and sent to me in Chicago to train, evaluate and dissect mentally and emotionally, before we invested any more time or money in them.

    It seems that certain patterns developed and we were able to better define which would possibly be more successful.

    It seems that 'words' were the expertise of many, action proved to be the success mode. Some of the best dressed and best looking people I had were the worst and failed. People that felt for some reason that they were not the 'elite' knew that they had to work harder and longer to be more knowledgeable, more dedicated and thus more successful.

    No one can open someone's heart and pour in motivation, need, fire and ambition. People change and the best known motivator for change is... fear. If your subconscious believes it, your conscious mind will also, it is about you, it is intrinsic.

    We found that when we sat these failing persons down and talked to them a few got the message, the others were sent packing. I had to make the decision, take the chance on some of them. How... I saw it in their eyes. Were all these 2nd chancers successful, no... some lied to themselves and me, but some were.

    Basically I am lazy Reef, I know this and I deal with it everyday. From the time I put my feet on the bedroom floor in the morning and every hour of the day. Recognizing a negative trait is dealing with it and taking a step to correct it.

    Another example; I was consistently late for almost everything, I just told myself that I was 'trying' to be on time... but... Years ago I was told by a close friend, confidant and business associate how blatantly rude and inconsiderate this was to him. It hit home, of all the things that I felt that I had to deal with this simple thing could be corrected... something that I had to do myself and I could do this. Yep, I did. Now I even allow enough time for backed up traffic and I arrive on time or before. And now it is me that feels insulted when someone is always late. It was something that I could correct personally and I did and I felt great/proud about it.

    It is all about you; The shape of a pyramid tells a lot;

    It is broken up into three parts, the base, the middle and the top, all parts are needed to stand. The base makes up about half of it, these are the 'masses.' The middle makes up another 40%, middle management, almost successful, and the top is 10%. The bottom portion is absolutely necessary in a working society and they are proud workers and should be. The middle is a little frustrated but by most standards are successful; home, family, income.

    The world also needs the 10%. Most have clawed their way there (not all obviously), long hours, more education, born leaders, training, ethics (?), guts, dealing with adversities, skills, and so on. But most of all determination.

    If we were all in the 50% or the 40% part would the world benefit... maybe.. but I think that it takes 100%... together.

    When you are older and you look back at yourself, which group will you say you were part of? http://altphotos.com/images/altphoto...12ff7d8028.jpg

    http://images.heartmath.com/heartquo...q_11_24_08.jpg

    Stringer
    Reef215's Avatar
    Reef215 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #27

    Feb 18, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I don't really know you Reef. But if you are serious then I am willing to help all I can.

    We are all a little like that and I have met many people who are a lot like that in my life. At one point in my career I was the National Sales Trainer for Republic Steel Corporation. The sales people were hired and sent to me in Chicago to train, evaluate and dissect mentally and emotionally, before we invested any more time or money in them.

    It seems that certain patterns developed and we were able to better define which would possibly be more successful.

    It seems that 'words' were the expertise of many, action proved to be the success mode. Some of the best dressed and best looking people I had were the worst and failed. People that felt for some reason that they were not the 'elite' knew that they had to work harder and longer to be more knowledgeable, more dedicated and thus more successful.

    No one can open someones heart and pour in motivation, need, fire and ambition. People change and the best known motivator for change is...fear. If your subconscious believes it, your conscious mind will also, it is about you, it is intrinsic.

    We found that when we sat these failing persons down and talked to them a few got the message, the others were sent packing. I had to make the decision, take the chance on some of them. How...I saw it in their eyes. Were all these 2nd chancers successful, no...some lied to themselves and me, but some were.

    Basically I am lazy Reef, I know this and I deal with it everyday. From the time I put my feet on the bedroom floor in the morning and every hour of the day. Recognizing a negative trait is dealing with it and taking a step to correct it.

    Another example; I was consistently late for almost everything, I just told myself that I was 'trying' to be on time...but... Years ago I was told by a close friend, confidant and business associate how blatantly rude and inconsiderate this was to him. It hit home, of all the things that I felt that I had to deal with this simple thing could be corrected...something that I had to do myself and I could do this. Yep, I did. Now I even allow enough time for backed up traffic and I arrive on time or before. And now it is me that feels insulted when someone is always late. It was something that I could correct personally and I did and I felt great/proud about it.

    It is all about you; The shape of a pyramid tells a lot;

    It is broken up into three parts, the base, the middle and the top, all parts are needed to stand. The base makes up about half of it, these are the 'masses.' The middle makes up another 40%, middle management, almost successful, and the top is 10%. The bottom portion is absolutely necessary in a working society and they are proud workers and should be. The middle is a little frustrated but by most standards are successful; home, family, income.

    The world also needs the 10%. Most have clawed their way there (not all obviously), long hours, more education, born leaders, training, ethics (?), guts, dealing with adversities, skills, and so on. But most of all determination.

    If we were all in the 50% or the 40% part would the world benefit...maybe..but I think that it takes 100%....together.

    When you are older and you look back at yourself, which group will you say you were part of? http://altphotos.com/images/altphoto...12ff7d8028.jpg

    http://images.heartmath.com/heartquo...q_11_24_08.jpg

    Stringer
    WOW, I really wish I could rate your answers still... this website is not allowing me but I want to tell you how very helpful (And Truthful!) you have been.

    I know at the end of my life, I WILL say that I am part of the top of the pyramid. I KNOW that I was born for this!

    Its funny that you say about being late, because I was the same way! My french teacher... who changed my life... was the one to call me out on it. And it affected ever since! Speaking of late I have to go to work... but I'll reply more later
    THANKS STRINGER!!
    Clough's Avatar
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member
     
    #28

    Feb 18, 2009, 02:37 PM

    Hi again, Reef215!

    I do apologize for not being around here very much! Have been house and dog sitting for four days. Also had a large interior painting job to do at the same place. Will be back on here, at my home, tonight.

    Looks like you and Stringer have been having a great time and discussion!

    Thanks!
    Reef215's Avatar
    Reef215 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #29

    Feb 18, 2009, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi again, Reef215!

    I do apologize for not being around here very much! Have been house and dog sitting for four days. Also had a large interior painting job to do at the same place. Will be back on here, at my home, tonight.

    Looks like you and Stringer have been having a great time and discussion!

    Thanks!
    Its no problem Clough, I understand you guys are very busy and do this out of the kindness of your hearts so ill be here whenever you get time.

    And stringer's the best, he's been tremendously helpful in not just commercial cleaning but also in gaining insight into my life in general
    Stringer's Avatar
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert
     
    #30

    Feb 19, 2009, 04:10 PM

    As I find things that I feel are appropriate to our thread and you I will post them. This is a simple, short read but every much in line with the current selling atmosphere and should be heeded;

    Sales Training, Sales Management Training, Sales Coaching Training – Richardson

    Are you still here Reef?
    Reef215's Avatar
    Reef215 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #31

    Feb 19, 2009, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    As I find things that I feel are appropriate to our thread and you I will post them. This is a simple, short read but every much in line with the current selling atmosphere and should be heeded;

    Sales Training, Sales Management Training, Sales Coaching Training – Richardson

    Are you still here Reef?
    Yeah Im still here, thanks a lot for this one Stringer and thanks for the continued support, encouragement and advice, and this link is great as well as relevant in today's economic crisis. Im going to use that in my presentation that "in today's current economic climate it is good to partner with companies that want to share the burden of this crisis by giving the same quality of service for a lesser price "
    Reef215's Avatar
    Reef215 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #32

    Feb 22, 2009, 12:11 PM

    Hey I don't know if this is the best way to ask another question, but Stringer I was wondering where do I go to find how to buff floors effectively. I saw the tutorial on thejanitorialstore.com website but that was brief, I was wondering if there was a more detailed instructional outlet via the net
    Stringer's Avatar
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert
     
    #33

    Feb 22, 2009, 01:14 PM

    Here are a few Reef try these, you may have to dig deeper in these sites to find specific items though:

    CM e-News Daily [CMNews@cm-enews.com]

    ISSA.com

    Tradepress.com

    CleanLink | The Information Resource for the Cleaning Industry (cleanlink.com/misc/form.asp to sign up: emails weekly) (cleanlink.com/cleantips)

    BCIA.com

    Etcpads.com (mfgr... search for educational info... )

    Ansam.com (National supplier; search info)

    CleanHound.com

    Buckeyeinternational.com (mfgr/supplier)

    All of these may or may not provide specific related info to your question, but some will and will provide you other places to go, research each site.

    Running a floor machine (hard floor or carpet) is a skill that has to be learned to do it with any success.

    Want a funny story? Well, not really... )

    Years ago, we hired a person that insisted that he had been buffing , scrubbing and stripping for years. He had references and 'talked the talk.' At the time we were extremely busy in all phases of the work... taking some desired short cuts at the time seemed pretty harmless (another lesson learned).

    We just signed up a new large account that we were delighted to have; Over $36,000.00 per month in billing a little over $5,400.00 in monthly profit. The specs called for a ton of floor work and consisted of having some of it done on a daily basis, during the day.

    We hired this guy in the 'rush' of things and put him on this job.

    Here's the scene...

    It is 9 am, first day of the job, I am in the president's office as he wanted to 'fine tune' some details...

    We are 15 minutes into our meeting, when there was a LOUD crashing sound like the building was coming down. Both of us just a s*** our pants, jumping up with actual fear that danger was about to impart itself on us with nothing less than bodily harm...

    Crashing threw his office wall came our buffing machine! I am not saying only a part of the machine, I am saying 'the buffer!'

    This guy lied, he had never touched a buffer in his entire life! (Although I have to say he interviewed very well... he must have Googled it? He knew how from reading it, had the lingo down... )

    He started up the machine on the VCT hallway outside the office, no spray wax on the floor, and the machine grabbed the surface and ripped out of his hands and 'kicked' left... abruptly... straight through the wall! Fired him on the spot, had to.

    I'll tell you, I 'danced' a lot verbally. All the president kept saying was 'what the H**L, what the H**L....? as he was jumping up and down.

    Yes, I did save the contract and paid to have the new wall put in. Scheduled monthly lunches with him and 'jumped' to take care of everything he wanted with 250% urgency. Actually we became pretty good friends...

    Never again, no matter how busy we/I were I NEVER take anyone's 'word only' again.

    Stringer
    Reef215's Avatar
    Reef215 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #34

    Feb 22, 2009, 02:04 PM

    Hey Once again, thanks stringer! Im going to contact all of the cleaning companies that sell/rent buffing machines and ask them do they have (or know of) training on using the machines effectively

    Once again thanks for the story, its great to learn from other people's experiences. But did the guy actually have verifiable references? If so, then that's scary! Because if you can't trust references, than what can you go on?

    Oh and to keep you guys updated, currently I am about to incorporate my business. Im going to do a Delaware incorporation (an LLC ) because they have a better tax structure than Pennsylvania. And I can apply for Business Credit separate from my own.

    I just got my logo and business cards finished and I'm currently in the process of getting my website done. My next step is to develop my direct mail marketing material and establishing a cold calling script for telemarketers to try and get appointments.

    Oh yeah... I need to establish my training and employee policy handbook. Did you come up with one?

    ***
    It still won't let you me give you reputation :(
    Stringer's Avatar
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert
     
    #35

    Feb 22, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Reef215 View Post
    hey Once again, thanks stringer! Im going to contact all of the cleaning companies that sell/rent buffing machines and ask them do they have (or know of) training on using the machines effectively

    Once again thanks for the story, its great to learn from other people's experiences. But did the guy actually have verifiable references? If so, then that's scary! Because if you can't trust references, than what can you go on?

    Oh and to keep you guys updated, currently I am about to incorporate my business. Im going to do a Delaware incorporation (an LLC ) because they have a better tax structure than Pennsylvania. And I can apply for Business Credit separate from my own.

    I just got my logo and business cards finished and im currently in the process of getting my website done. My next step is to develop my direct mail marketing material and establishing a cold calling script for telemarketers to try and get appointments.

    Oh yeah...I need to establish my training and employee policy handbook. Did you come up with one?

    ***
    It still wont let you me give you reputation :(

    "hey Once again, thanks stringer! Im going to contact all of the cleaning companies that sell/rent buffing machines and ask them do they have (or know of) training on using the machines effectively."

    Yes most of your local distributors offer many 'training sessions' that they set up with the manufacturer's that they represent.

    "Oh yeah...I need to establish my training and employee policy handbook. Did you come up with one?"

    Absolutely; Training manuals for all phases of the company along with an employee 'hand book' for policy and procedures. For our Operations Director, Field Supervisors, Lead Persons, Employees, etc... which is a 'living' document.

    You may want to look closely at Sub 'S' Corporation... when it washes out... it offers a lot of protection and tax benefits over most others, in my opinion.

    Stringer
    Stringer's Avatar
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert
     
    #36

    Feb 22, 2009, 02:55 PM

    "Once again thanks for the story, its great to learn from other people's experiences. But did the guy actually have verifiable references? If so, then that's scary! Because if you can't trust references, than what can you go on?"

    Don't know, at the time I didn't have all the staff that I have now... I was rushed, they 'looked' impressive', etc.

    Big mistake that I haven't made since. Remember we talked about 'absentee ownership?' Well this is only one small fraction of the things that will take up your day... THAT won't work... you must be a leader by example.
    Reef215's Avatar
    Reef215 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #37

    Feb 22, 2009, 04:14 PM
    You may want to look closely at Sub 'S' Corporation...when it washes out...it offers a lot of protection and tax benefits over most others, in my opinion.

    I remember having this book about tax loopholes for Ebay sellers and the author strongly recommended forming a corporation vs an LLC because of the additional tax benefits and when I did some research I have found this

    Link
    A major factor that differentiates an S corporation from an LLC is the employment tax that is paid on earnings. The owner of an LLC is considered to be self-employed and, as such, must pay a self-employment tax of 15.3% which goes toward social security and Medicare. The entire net income of the business is subject to self-employment tax.*

    In an S corporation, only the salary paid to the employee-owner is subject to employment tax. The remaining income that is paid as a distribution is not subject to employment tax under IRS rules. Therefore, there is the potential to realize substantial employment tax savings
    But I have also found that an LLC can be taxed as an S corporation, which is why I am going to talk to a lawyer this week
    Stringer's Avatar
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert
     
    #38

    Feb 22, 2009, 04:19 PM

    Always ask about and question everything.
    kkelly2710's Avatar
    kkelly2710 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #39

    Aug 20, 2010, 01:44 PM

    Reef I started a Cleaning Business as well I am in Philadelphia as well. I wanted to know how is your company doing thus far
    Reef215's Avatar
    Reef215 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #40

    Aug 22, 2010, 09:18 AM
    Hey KKelly2710 I haven't started yet because of a set back, but I am still interested, tell me if you need any suggestions, but it sounds like you know way more than I do, I didn't work that many places or have the years experience you did

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Commercial cleaning Which way to go? [ 4 Answers ]

I am wanting to open a commercial cleaning company. I was thinking about franchise but a friend told me I would be better off doing it myself. How do I find information on doing it on my own or would the franchise be better?

Commercial Cleaning Bid [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting my own commercial cleaning business and I do not know how much to charge. I have a proposal in mind but I have never written a bid before. I do not know what the other cleaning companies are charging. How much should I charge for a 2500 sq feet building in the suburbs of AZ?

Commercial Cleaning [ 1 Answers ]

I am interested in starting my own cleaning business with someone that I work with now but we both work under someone else.We have a chance to pick up a very big job but we are not licensed and bonded.I live in Marion county, Florida and was told that you do not have to be licensed.How do I go...


View more questions Search