Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Real Estate Law (
-   -   Eviction (

  • Feb 16, 2019, 05:54 PM
    There is no lease or rental agreement. It is my girlfriend and she will not leave, she pays no rent, the only thing she pays is some of the utilities that is all. She is a heavy drinker and she mentally and verbally abuses me and I just want her to take her stuff and leave, I am tired of the fighting and yelling.
  • Feb 17, 2019, 07:04 AM
    Laws vary by state, so without knowing where you are located it's impossible to dive into specifics, but in general ... given that there is no written rental agreement your girlfriend is typically considered to be a month-to-month tenant, meaning that if she does not want to leave then legally she is entitled to one month's written notice that she must vacate. This MUST be written notice, not verbal. If she fails to vacate after the month is up, then you may start formal eviction proceedings, which gets a bit involved and may take a few more weeks. Given all this, I suggest you work out a financial incentive for her to leave voluntarily. For example you might help her find a new place and volunteer to pay her security deposit and/or first month's rent.
  • Feb 17, 2019, 09:13 AM
    Do you lease, rent, or own. Assuming you own I go along with ebaines suggestion, but have a care about using YOUR NAME on wherever she goes if she does go along with suggested incentives to move. I would prefer the straight no strings attached eviction and the ultimatum of get help or get gone approach.
  • Feb 17, 2019, 09:28 AM
    All of the advice is valid, she has a residency at your home, no formal written or no payment does not matter, So as noted a written notice to move out must be given.

    You may even want to have it given to them by an independent third party. At court she could just say you never gave her a notice yourself.
  • Feb 21, 2019, 12:02 PM
    Invite the naked Fat man to stay with you for awhile.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 PM.