Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Real Estate Law (
-   -   Apartment ventilation (

  • Aug 14, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Apartment ventilation
    Does anyone know if there are specific laws regarding ventilation for apartments? In my building around 6 pm we always have the smell of other people's cooking coming in through the vent over the stove. To stop it we have to turn our vent on and it's rather noisy.

    It's ongoing and very annoying to either deal with the smell or the noise from the fan, plus the smells coming in are always of burnt food or fish sticks, I'm sure it's an apartment directly beside or below us but the person obviously doesn't know how to cook!

    Im in Quebec, Canada so ideally if someone from here knows that would be great but let me know the US laws on the subject too and of course what's a good first step to resolve this
  • Aug 14, 2007, 09:42 AM
    I don't know of any law but you could help the problem by installing a barometric damper in the vent from the stove to the outside, Good luck. Mike
  • Aug 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Good idea but I have no idea how I'd be able to do that myself, the stove vent goes into a larger pipe that vents to the roof. I was trying to see if there is any law stating that in cases like this the landlord would (should have been) responsible to install something of this nature.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:40 PM.