Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Installing a utility tub (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=7718)

• Feb 10, 2005, 09:51 AM
    falcon232
    Installing a utility tub
    Hi,
    I want to install a utility tub in my laundry room. My question is, can I tee the tub drain into the washer drain stack? I really don't want to run a separate drain pipe all the way to the main stack ( about 30ft).
    About the house; single story, crawl space, laundry room at back of house, city sewer. Thanks-DC
  • Feb 10, 2005, 10:40 AM
    labman
    I think it would work, put at trap just below the tub, and then tie into the washer drain as low as you can making the water from the washer to have to run up hill further to get into the tub. If Tom points out something I missed, better go with his idea.
  • Feb 10, 2005, 11:28 AM
    speedball1
    Installing a utility tub
    Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon232
    Hi,
    I want to install a utility tub in my laundry room. My question is, can I tee the tub drain into the washer drain stack? I really don't want to run a seperate drain pipe all the way to the main stack ( about 30ft).
    About the house; single story, crawl space, laundry room at back of house, city sewer. Thanks-DC

Before we go any further let's get together on terms.
    Washer Stand Pipe = The pipe that raises out of the washers trap and the washer hose hooks into.
    Washer Drain Stack = The vertical pipe the washer trap drains into and vents the washer.

First you couldn't run the drain 30' to the main stack without running a separate vent on the utility tub so that is not a option at this point.

To tee into the stand pipe would set up a double trap situation and that's a no-no. However if you tee off the Washer Drain Vent Stack up as high as you can that would allow you to trap the tub and still wet vent the washer.

Good luck on your project. Tom
  • Feb 10, 2005, 12:50 PM
    falcon232
    Thanks guys,
    I meant the stand pipe :o . Now here's the thing, you said a double trap is a no-no. But the best I can remember, the washer drain doesn't have a trap. Once the stand pipe goes under the floor, it turns 90 dregees and runs straight into the kitchen drain( about 15' away).
    OK, tell me these are all code volations lol. This house is very old & a lot of the previous work that has been done was suspect at best.
    Thanks-DC
  • Feb 10, 2005, 07:07 PM
    speedball1
    Installing a utility tub
    Quote:

Thanks guys,
    I meant the stand pipe :o . Now heres the thing, you said a double trap is a no-no. But the best I can remember, the washer drain doesn't have a trap. Once the stand pipe goes under the floor, it turns 90 dregees and runs straight into the kitchen drain( about 15' away).
    OK, go ahead and tell me these are all code volations lol. This house is very old & a lot of the previous work that has been done was suspect at best.
    Thanks-DC

Iwould then trap trap the utility sink before I tied it into a tee in the washer stand pipe. I'm not code enforcement but sewer gas is hazardous to your familys health and the methane content in it is explosive. I would cap or close off the open stand pipe when not in use. If the washer's not trapped you have a direct open line from your house to the sewer. Good luck, Tom
  • Feb 11, 2005, 06:41 AM
    falcon232
    Thanks Tom,
    I'm going to relocate the washer plumbing from one wall to another, so I'll trap the washer drain. Would it be OK to tee in the tub drain past the washer drain? Maybe add a mechanical vent into the attic for the sink?
    As with all my projects, I see this taking 3 times as long as I hoped :eek:
    Again, thanks for all your help-DC
  • Feb 11, 2005, 11:23 AM
    speedball1
    Installing a utility tub
    Quote:

Thanks Tom,
    I'm going to relocate the washer plumbing from one wall to another, so I'll go ahead and trap the washer drain. Would it be ok to tee in the tub drain past the washer drain? Maybe add a mechanical vent into the attic for the sink?
    As with all my projects, I see this taking 3 times as long as I hoped :eek:
    Again, thanks for all your help-DC

You can work it out this way. You may tee into any spot as long as you install a mechanical vent just after the trap on the sink. You don't have to extend such a vent to the attic. Simply mount the vent on a upright tee after the sink trap and you'll be fine. Regards, Tom
  • Feb 11, 2005, 11:40 AM
    falcon232
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball1
    You can work it out this way. You may tee into any spot as long as you install a mechanical vent just after the trap on the sink. You don't have to extend such a vent to the attic. Simply mount the vent on a upright tee after the sink trap and you'll be fine. Regards, Tom

Thanks Tom!
    That sounds like a plan. I really apprecate your & labmans help. I couldn't find any of this info in my Plumbing for Dummies handbook :D
    Thanks again-DC