Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cars & Trucks (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   1990 Honda Civic 1.5 DX won't start!HELP! (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=40831)

• Nov 4, 2006, 02:24 PM
    CoB_hatecrew
    1990 Honda Civic 1.5 DX won't start! HELP!!
    OK I recently bought a 1990 honda civic hb 5speed non v-tec... it won't start and if it does it doesn't stay running long at all. Replaced the distributor and put a brand new computer in it... still won't run.. I'm getting spark into the distributor but none out... any ideas? Thanks in advance
  • Nov 4, 2006, 04:38 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Did your new distributor come with a new igniter and coil?

Check main relay, igniter, coil, and MAP Sensor.
  • Nov 4, 2006, 05:23 PM
    CoB_hatecrew
    Yea I bought a new one and put it in... I'm thinking that the wires from the harness could have touched each other or metal and shorted something out because there are bare spots on the harness near the plug in... and its not secured down... so I think I need to put the one from the old distributor in it and check all the fuses and see if any of those blew when the wires touched... what do you think?
  • Nov 4, 2006, 05:28 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    When you turn the ignition switch ON, does the check engine light come on and then go off after 2 seconds? Is there a relay click sound when the check engine light goes out? Does the fuel pump whine for 2 seconds?

Take a test light or a multimeter and test the ACG(s) under-dash fuse. Probably Fuse No. 24.
  • Nov 4, 2006, 05:29 PM
    CoB_hatecrew
    The check engine light stays on the whole time and the fuel pump is fine there is nothing wrong with it
  • Nov 4, 2006, 05:31 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Your car will never start if the check engine light stays on. The problem is with the main relay, ACG(S) fuse, ECM or ignition switch.
  • Nov 4, 2006, 05:33 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Do you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds, when you turn the ignition to ON?
  • Nov 19, 2006, 04:21 PM
    CoB_hatecrew
    I'm not too sure about the fuel pump... but the magnetic pickup was bad in the distributor
  • Nov 19, 2006, 04:57 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Does it now run? Did you have a bad pickup in the new distributor?
  • Nov 21, 2006, 12:43 PM
    CoB_hatecrew
    The fuel pump doesn't wine... so I'm going to go check the fuse now... but that still doesn't explain me not getting any spark out of the distributor
  • Nov 21, 2006, 12:57 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    A bad Main Relay could explain the problem, since it controls power to the ECM, fuel pump, and fuel injectors.

Jump terminals 5 and 7 to the Main Relay and you should hear the fuel pump run.
  • Nov 23, 2006, 03:14 PM
    CoB_hatecrew
    There is no 24th fuse it only goes to 18... what now?
  • Nov 23, 2006, 03:39 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Look for a fuse labeled "ACG (S) ALT" or something similar. I have worked with individuals on this site before where some "friend" removed Fuse No. 24 and left it empty. Look on your under-dash fuse box cover and see if you can identify a fuse that is labeled something like this. This fuse controls power to the main relay, computer, and gauges.
  • Nov 29, 2006, 11:08 AM
    CoB_hatecrew
    What I meant was there is no slot numberd 24... they stop at 18
  • Nov 29, 2006, 11:17 AM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Next step, then, is to replace your Main Relay.
  • Nov 29, 2006, 05:05 PM
    CoB_hatecrew
    Where is the main relay at?
  • Nov 29, 2006, 06:09 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    It should be located around where the driver's left knee hits the kick panel. The Main Relay's first relay provides power to the ECM, fuel injectors, and second relay. The Main Relay's second relay is energized for 2 seconds, when the ignition is turned to ON, and when the engine is running, which supplies power to the fuel pump. It has a 3" metal bracket, which is attached to the frame with a 10 mm bolt. For easier access, remove the under-dash fuse box cover and the 3 screws securing the lower dash panel cover. Turn the ignition switch on and off, to help you locate it. You should be able to hear and feel it click.
  • Nov 30, 2006, 03:19 PM
    CoB_hatecrew
    Does it sit behind the hood latch popper and to the left of the fuse box?
  • Nov 30, 2006, 03:42 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Yes, that's it.
  • Nov 30, 2006, 04:02 PM
    CoB_hatecrew
    it has like a weird z bracket and it has a white plug with a bunch of wires... is that it... and how or where would I find a replacement