Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Paranormal Phenomena (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Would you buy a house where someone was murdered/died? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=28439)

• Jun 27, 2006, 08:57 AM
    Cgirl
    Would you buy a house where someone was murdered/died?
    I just am curious what everyone thinks, would you buy a house where someone died in it recently?

How about a house where someone was murdered or committed suicide?

My answers: I live in a house where someone died, but peacefully of old age... I would not buy a house where someone was murdered or committed suicide... just because every creek in the house would have my mind racing :eek:
  • Jun 27, 2006, 09:08 AM
    magprob
    That depends on how long the body remained in the house. If they were removed soon after death, then I would buy it. If they were there for more than a week, no way. You can't get the smell out! Same with a car someone has died in... don't buy it!

If you are talking about hauntings, I love them and welcome them. I have been in one house that had a lot of ghostly activity and it was the most fun I think I have ever had. Except when the shower curtain would start moving and shaking... I like to be left alone in the shower!:eek:
  • Jun 27, 2006, 09:11 AM
    J_9
    Hauntings are a blast. But like Mag, if the person were left in the house for a while, no. If they died and were removed promptly, yes.

I visited the Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs Arkansas, supposedly very haunted. We had so much fun! And yes, we "believe" we saw something. Maybe not, but it is fun to believe it was real whether you are sure or not.
  • Jun 27, 2006, 09:44 AM
    orange
    If you buy an older home, you have to expect that at least one person has died in it. Years ago people almost always died at home rather than in a hospital, and even if they died elsewhere, their bodies were often brought back to the house for a while, rather than to a funeral home.

I currently live in a house that's about 150 years old. The original owners and one of their children died in it, and I'm sure other people have, too. It doesn't really bother me. A murder though, especially an unsolved murder, might be different, if the spirit isn't at rest and is causing problems for people who live in the house. I may consider not buying a house in that case... or if I really liked it I would buy it anyway and have a medium in to access the situation.
  • Jun 27, 2006, 10:27 AM
    valinors_sorrow
    I would buy a house I loved regardless of what took place in it. I would perform the "smudging ceremony" with a bundle of sacred sage that my native american friend taught to me. But then I have not had any experience of a ghost or haunting that was bad, so I don't necessarily fear them.
  • Jun 27, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Nez
    My house was built in 1905,and only two families lived here before me.The last family moved out,and the original owners "died" whilst not in the house.However,guests,friends,and family members have sometimes said that they feel that "someone" follows them up the stairs,a big Edwardian built staircase.I have felt nothing however,in the eighteen years I have been here.Here's hopeing. :D
    Would I live in a house where someone had committed suicide,or been murdered? Not a chance... I'm a pussycat at heart.
  • Jun 27, 2006, 10:36 AM
    talaniman
    No! Absolutely not!
  • Jun 27, 2006, 10:39 AM
    Krs
    My father died at home, peaceful in his bed and it doesn't scare me, probably cause its my dad, even if I had to see his spirit I'm sure I would only smile instead of scream.

I suppose I would buy a house if a person died peacefully in his home, cause I believe his soul is at rest, BUT if someone was murdered or suicide I think NOT. No no no way.. those are my beliefs thou, as I believe their soul won't be at rest and may come to haunt me.. :(
  • Jun 27, 2006, 12:34 PM
    phillysteakandcheese
    In short - Yes.

I wouldn't want to be like a vulture and swoop in and grab the place as soon as it came up for sale. But a few years after the event, if it were the right property, I wouldn't have a problem.
  • Jun 27, 2006, 04:46 PM
    aqua@home
    I agree with most everyone here. It would depend on the circumstances.

Peaceful, old, sickness, etc... yes
    Murder, suicide, etc... no
  • Jun 27, 2006, 05:04 PM
    depressionsthename
    It would be a definite yes to this question. Trust me, I lived in Atlanta, Georgia, before we came to California. My parents owned a huge Victorian house, built in the early 1800's. According to the old owners, the house was practically a cementery, with a tally of over 80 deaths. 2 murders, 6 suicide cases, and the rest most likely of old age. Not a day went by when nothing strange occurred. We would leave the house to gon an errand, just to come back, and find all the bathtubs full with hot water. Personally, I love the idea of spirits "living" with you.
  • Jun 27, 2006, 05:14 PM
    JoeCanada76
    I would not under any circumstances buy a house if somebody committed suicide or was murdered in.

Not good.

Joe
  • Jun 27, 2006, 05:30 PM
    Northwind_Dagas
    The house I live is was built in 1907. Two owners ago, this place was a wreck; I saw a picture and it looked ready to fall down. That owner was a handyman and took it upon himself to fix up the house for his wife. From my understanding he did tons of work. One day while his wife was hanging wallpaper, she dropped dead. I'm not sure what the cause of death was, but it wasn't from injury (like falling) and was very unexpected (neighbor's story). He immediately moved out and sold the house.

I knew this story when I was purchasing the house, so I guess my answer is yes. I'm not sure about murder/suicide.
  • Jun 27, 2006, 06:52 PM
    magprob
    Just to expand upon this subject, some people that do the trauma clean up (after a suicide) take the bloody furniture, clean it up and resell it. The one thing I never do is buy used furniture!
  • Jun 27, 2006, 11:59 PM
    Krs
    Esp with murder to me it like un finished business I would be too freaked out to even consider buy a house when someone was murdered or committed suicide. Besides their soul not at rest I surely won't be at rest either :(
  • Jun 28, 2006, 04:51 AM
    valinors_sorrow
    My cupboards open frequently and I suspect one of my cats but maybe...
  • Jun 28, 2006, 05:00 AM
    Tommyp!972
    My parents house was one of a suicide... the 1 12yr old hung himself... never had a problem in the house once... was creepy the first few weeks living there but my parents bought it about 2 yrs after the incident... no one was interested...

Thank god he never told my mother the real story... we would still be living in the drug infested section of my city if he did..

But that was 25 yrs ago and to this day I never got a chill or a feeling from the house at all... maybe just lucky
  • Sep 18, 2007, 12:25 PM
    DebE
    I am in the process of selling my parent's home. Both died at home within 6 months of each other and both died of natural causes/terminal illnesses. The realtor who listed my parent's house recommended I sell it for $159,000 below market because of the fact that I would have to disclose the deaths and that the market was just not good. I ended up listing it for what the realtor recommended and getting a full price offer but in talking with potential buyers as well as friends, the consensus is that most people do not care. The flipside of this is that if the person died of aids in the house, no disclosure is necessary.
  • Sep 21, 2007, 11:56 PM
    MayMsredrose
    HI... I strongly do agree with aqua@home : )

Ms. Redrose
  • Apr 27, 2008, 10:08 AM
    tiggerella
    Whenever I go anywhere, there are certain "vibes", good and bad, that I feel. For instance, while taking photographs of my great-grandmother's tombstone and wondering if my great-grandfather was buried near her in an unmarked grave as family rumor had it, I stepped to one side to change the direction of the sun for on photo - and got a shock up my legs and a feeling of triumph. I was badly shaken by it at the time, but have since found out from the historical society that there IS someone buried in the place I got the shock - but the records telling who it is were destroyed by a fire...

Because of this, I would buy the house if the vibes were good. If I felt creepy sensations of any kind, I would get out as soon as possible.