Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Medical Conditions & Diseases (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Leg spasms (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=133728)

• Sep 25, 2007, 04:27 PM
    fastbarb
    Leg spasms
    Hi, I am a 62 year old female and in very good health except for this one problem that no one understands. I have been having leg spasms for over 10 years now, not cramps, but leg spasms. When this happens, I cannot move at all and the pain just consumes me. I take Quinne Sulfate for the past 4 years and when a spasm occurs and I take one of these pills, it clears up within a couple of minutes, but if I don't have the pill, it goes on for about 5 to 7 minutes and it also damages the inside of the leg and for a week after, I cannot lift that leg and have to drag it around.

I have just found out the Quinne Sulfate is being taken off the market and I don't know what to do without it. The doctors don't understand how severe this is and how it affects my entire life. I want to know if there is any other medication I can take for this problem or an answer as how to correct this condition.
  • Sep 25, 2007, 06:30 PM
    J_9
    Before we go on I have to ask what other meds you are on? Let's start at the beginning.
  • Sep 25, 2007, 06:36 PM
    fastbarb
    I am not on any other meds
  • Sep 25, 2007, 07:00 PM
    J_9
    Wow, you are a very lucky woman at your age not to be on any meds!!

Now, have you had your blood checked recently? Have the docs checked your electrolyte balances?

I'm just trying to be simple here, we will go on if needed.

Do you take any calcium supplements? Calcium can many times be a culprit of tetany. We'll explore this further if this is not the case for you.
  • Sep 25, 2007, 07:18 PM
    KISS
    I'll add:
    Do you drink milk on the days it happens?
    Do you stay hydrated on days it happens?
    Do you put the muscle in a lot of stress on the days it happens?
    Do you sweat on days that it happens?
  • Sep 26, 2007, 08:33 AM
    fastbarb
    I don't really drink milk, but take a calcium supplement with vit D
    I drink around 8 to 10 glasses of water a day
    I love to exercise, go to gym 3 days a week and do 1 hour of weights
    I do cardio on other days, treadmill and bike 1 hr. a day
    It seems to happen more if I'm on my feet a lot, which I am because I run a daycare so I'm really busy, but really it seems to me that those muscles are weak, yet I don't know why
    If I drink coffee, which I used to do a lot of, now 1 cup and for sure the next day I will have a spasm
  • Sep 26, 2007, 09:22 AM
    KISS
    Based on your responses, I'll offer some suggestions:

Always take calcium with Magnesium. You should be able to find the ratio on the web.

On days that you exercise have at least some Gatoraide or equlivelent. You may even try Pedialyte.

Try to elevate your feet when you get a chance.

This resource may be helpful:

http://eletewater.com/elpdf/electrol...ehydration.pdf

Drop the coffee.
  • Sep 27, 2007, 05:24 PM
    fastbarb
    Thank you so much for your help, I am going to take your suggestions fpr the calcium and also the eletewater. I truly feel that this started when I went on the Atkins program and really gave up a lot, especially dairy products, so I really hope adding the calcium will be the answer. Thanks again for your help.
  • Sep 27, 2007, 06:00 PM
    KISS
    You mean add magnesium?
  • Sep 27, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Flying Blue Eagle
    Talk to a good doctor that knows (NERVE problems) they said after testing that I had nerve damage in my legs that caused my trouble, they also called it (RESTLESS LEG Systrom) they have me on (REQUIP MED> ) and it helps. Ask your doctor about it . GO to never Doctor before trying anything;;;;;
  • Sep 30, 2007, 06:52 PM
    N0help4u
    Keepitsimple and flying blue eagle have it right I have RLS
    You have to take magnesium and vitamin D with calcium
    250 or 300 mg magnesium with 600 mg calcium
    Otherwise you end up with calcium deposits that turn into spurs.
    The best time to take these is at bedtime while your legs are resting.
    Also taking a potassium pill at bedtime is good for any leg ache problems.
    There is probably more you need considering the severity but this is off to a good start.
  • Oct 4, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Flying Blue Eagle
    A ( Bannana) A day helps to keep the doctor away. Ha HA, Joking aside , banamas are good for you ,YOU get a lot of POTASSIUM out of them . By the way good call F.B.E.
  • Oct 4, 2007, 06:45 PM
    J_9
    Whoa, but too much potassium can be VERY dangerous to the heart, can actually cause heart attacks. Too much calcium can cause this problem also. It can cause tetany (muscle cramps) along with cardio problems.

Please remind me the last time you had a full blood workup.