Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Criminal Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407)
-   -   Can a felon go to the uk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=75207)

• Mar 23, 2007, 02:17 PM
    desi143
    Can a felon go to the uk
    My boyfriend and I were planing to go to london for my b day next year I was wondering if conficted felons can go to the uk
  • Mar 23, 2007, 02:39 PM
    DrJ
    Is he still on parole?
  • Mar 23, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Lowtax4eva
    Apart from the above, the US reserves the right to refuse passports to anyone convicted of a crime, this is reviewed on a case by case basis. If he gets a passport then yes he can go.
  • Mar 23, 2007, 07:53 PM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    If he gets a passport then yes he can go.

Hello Low:

Yes, but will England let him in? That's the question.

It doesn't matter if he has a passport or not, Canada won't let him in. I don't know about the UK, but Canada isn't the only country that doesn't give visas to excons.

excon
  • Mar 23, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Lowtax4eva
    Ah right, ICES, back in my day we didn't have such a fancy system that automatically checked this.
  • Sep 11, 2007, 04:13 PM
    vietboy714
    You can go anywhere as long as you have a valid passport and are not on parole or probation.
  • Sep 12, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Lowtax4eva
    Actually no, as mentionned above some countries reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone that has criminal convictions. Between Canada and the US they have a computer system to see convictions in either country.

So someone from the US can be refused entry to Canada for previous convictions and vice versa.

I don't know if the UK has this ability to check convictions on the spot like this, I would assume it's possible since it's just linking to a North American police system.
  • Jun 5, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Lorn MacUmber
    Comment on Lowtax4eva's post
    Answer really does not say yes or no, or what is the chance of getting the passport
  • Jun 6, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Lowtax4eva
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    Apart from the above, the US reserves the right to refuse passports to anyone convicted of a crime, this is reviewed on a case by case basis. If he gets a passport then yes he can go.

Lorn, this post is kind of old and like I said, it's a case by case review, I'm no expert on UK entry requirements.
  • Oct 11, 2011, 07:07 AM
    adamwillard21
    I've traveled extensively for the past five years was able to visit over 20 countries, and recently got a felony conviction for marijuana. Canada refused me entry last year even though I have a valid passport.. Same with the U.S. I have a friend who lives in Canada who also has a felony conviction for growing marijuana and he isn't allowed in the States. We recently planned a trip to Mexico & he had to find a direct flight to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico from Vancouver because the United States wouldn't even allow him to have a flight connection anywhere in the U.S. And the U.K. Is the same.. You can get a flight there, but once you land if you have a felony you will be refused entry & detained at Customs until you can be sent back on the next available flight. It's possible to get a waiver, but it is very uncommon.. The U.S. Canada, Japan, and the U.K. are all countries who refuse entry to most felons.. But for me I couldn't care less I would much rather spend my time in beautiful & exotic locations such as India, Thailand, Morocco, Jamaica, Nepal, Indonesia, etc.. I visited the UK before my felony conviction... Trust me you aren't missing much!
  • Oct 11, 2011, 07:35 AM
    JudyKayTee
    This is from 2008 - time to close?