Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Home Safety & Security (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Which is the best home alarm system (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=78050)

• Apr 1, 2007, 08:36 AM
    freberd
    Which is the best home alarm system
    We are having a new home built and we would like to install an alarm system.
    We are so remote it would take a officer 20-40 minutes to respond so we were thinking of using cameras so we can at least see who and maybe get a license plate number.

Any suggestions or comments on which systems are the best/troublefree?

Thanks
  • Apr 1, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Well I have used ADT services for almost 10 years now, we use motion detectors, window/ door alams, motion detectors to turn lights and cameras on outside and the such. Back up power for the alarms.
    We have had some issues with the smoke/fire alarm being a little too good, but only had two false alarms in the 10 years

The one thing we don't have is a back up communication, for the alarm, you still have the issues of the phone line being cut, they have a seconday system that will use a built in cell phone if the normal phone is not functioning. But we were not up to paying the additional montering fee for that.
  • May 12, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Stratmando
    Ademco and others are nice, DSC Makes a PC5010, I believe the new name is 1832?
    8 Zones expandable to 32, with RF receiver you can add wireless door/window contacts, motions, glass breaks, and Keyfobs. They have an Automation Board 5580 TC, You can control X10, Dry Contact devices, thermostat and alarm control, Arm/Disarm, etc from anywhere in the world or local phone. Wire for carbon monoxide
    detector in garage or near fire place. Have pair of wires in with Telco so if line is cut, it violates a loop or zone. 24 hour zone. Most panels have tel line monitor, but they usually have delay.
    Hard wire everything and use recessed magnetic contact for doors and windows. I mentioned wireless only for special things that are moveable, A boat.
    I Have a wireless door transmitter in my work truck. A relay energised with dome light.
    breaks contact to xmitter and chimes in house. I know they are there, They Don't.
    One keypad they have can be programmed to 1 of 4 chime sounds.
    I can hear when some opens door to truck or shed(different sound than front door)They also have network transmitters. Cameras wired to DVR.
    Wireless may be good to keep them from tracing wires to dvr and Removing/destroying.
    If you you are usually within a couple of miles, Linear makes long range transmitters.

Wires are the important thing. It doesn't get easier or cheaper than Now, before walls go up.
    Last Customer I GAVE to ADT for monitoring, refused to monitor temperature. They said they prefer Ademco. I reminded the Temp sensor is Ademco. So I have to sell customer Dialer like AVD 2000, tha will call several numbers and/or cell phones for 4 inputs(1 could be from alarm panel. Plus it's Free Monitoring.
  • May 12, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Stratmando
    I forgot to mention Stealth Cams. Portable, Covert, Motion Activated with IR Illuminators, stores on SD card for the license plate.
  • Jan 2, 2009, 07:33 AM
    Stratmando

Jennifer, welcome, hope all is well.
    The problem with the Big Company's is they are for MAXIMUM profit. The have a tendency to use "Monkey Panels", very basic, cheap, contacts are usually surface mounted, Plus the Link needs your Name, Phone, address etc.
    What they NEED to ask is area code, type of house, attic? How much you want to spend.
    They have Free or cheap panels and make money on Monitoring, You may agree to a 2 year contract, but sign a 5 year contract slipped in at the last minute. If you steal from your customer, how will be the protection they provide. Many Installers are kids, and paid low dollar.