Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   How do I ground wire for main service line to manufactured home (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=498489)

• Aug 15, 2010, 03:39 PM
    alyeska95
    How do I ground wire for main service line to manufactured home
    We are building a manufactured home one a permanent foundation. The main meter is on post by the road and is staying there. The connection is 3 pole, 4 wire 60 hertz, 200 amp to the home.

I am trying to figure out if ground can run from two ground rods outside foundation to panel in house or if I have to run ground from the main meter main out by the road. It's almost 200 feet from pole to breaker panel in the house.
  • Aug 15, 2010, 05:51 PM
    stanfortyman

Is this a mobile home (trailer) or a manufactured home (modular)?

Is there a disconnect at the meter, or just the meter base?
  • Aug 15, 2010, 08:01 PM
    alyeska95

I guess it's a trailer... hard to call it that because it's so much nicer than any trailer I've seen.. but it is on a chassis so and I think the connection is different than a site built house.

I am not sure what you mean by disconnect. Can you give me a little more info. Meter base on the pole? Meter on the electric panel of house?
  • Aug 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
    stanfortyman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alyeska95 View Post
    I guess it's a trailer...hard to call it that because it's so much nicer than any trailer I've seen.. but it is on a chassis so and I think the connection is different than a site built house.

OK, then it is a mobile home, regardless of how nice or what it sits on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyeska95 View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by disconnect. Can you give me a little more info. Meter base on the pole? Meter on the electric panel of house?

The meter base cannot be on this house. There must be a main disconnect off the structure and the house fed with a 4-wire feeder.
    Grounds and neutrals must be kept separate in the panel in the house.
    The grounding electrodes must be at the service (meter and main disconnect).
    The metal chassis/frame and any metallic piping systems must also be bonded to the equipment ground of the feeder.

There are quite a few important codes involved with feeding a house such as this. Are you planning on attempting doing this yourself?
  • Aug 15, 2010, 08:50 PM
    alyeska95

We did it ourselves with the trailer we have on the property now so we were planning on doing it with this new one. I am trying to decide if I can get enough info to hook up the new home or if we will need to hire someone. We'd rather do ourselves but only if it's simple enough.

Right now our trailer has a ground rod outside of skirting and the ground wire runs to that. We also have ground rod out by the meter base.
  • Aug 16, 2010, 06:47 PM
    alyeska95

So after talking to a local electrician, he said we do have to run ground from meter base to house. He's going to come and give us some guidance and maybe a quote to do it himself. :) Any extra info is good!