Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Signing over rights (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=278023)

• Nov 6, 2008, 11:03 PM
    confused_1
    Signing over rights
    I have been thinking about signing over my rights to my daughter. I was just wondering if anyone who has ever signed over their rights or anyone who has had a parent sign over their right give me some advice. I know about all the legal aspects already. I just want to know how the process felt and how you did afterwords. I am a decent guy. The mother wants me to sign over my rights because this child was conceived out of an affair basically. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
  • Nov 7, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Eileen1218
    First of all why would want you want to sign away your parental rights to your child?
    In Pa. one can sign away rights but still have responsibility to the child. In Pa. one has to pay child support even if you have no rights to the child. This could be something to think about.
  • Nov 7, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Fr_Chuck

As long as the mother has a new partner ( normally married) that wants to adopt, no issue. You sign and don't have to pay any child support

Now if you want to just sign custody over without someone to adopt it is not going to happen, the judges almost never allows it, and even if you do get to sign it over, you will have to pay child support anyway.
  • Nov 7, 2008, 08:07 PM
    ikryspy

My dad signed over his rights when I was like 6 or 7. And I have hated him ever since. We are JUST NOW starting to talk again and I'm 17. My advice; don't do it! It is the worst thing ever not growing up with your real dad... and having to deal with the "step dads" I was an accident to, my parents were never married, and I wish my dad still would have never done it.
  • Nov 7, 2008, 11:34 PM
    confused_1
    Thank you Ikryspy for your input. Too everyone else, I already know all the legal implications like I said. I am going through the paternity case currently and have a lawyer that I have discussed everything with. I really would just like some input from someone who has gone through this before. Thanks again everyone.
  • Nov 12, 2008, 12:52 PM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by confused_1 View Post
    I already know all the legal implications

I'm not so sure you do. Bottomline here is that I doubt if you will be ALLOWED to relinquish your rights. Generally a TPR is granted ONLY to clear the way for an adoption or because the parent represents a dhanger to the child.

You can want to relinquish and the mother can want you to relinquish but the court will not grant it.

Now, if the mother is still married and the husband wants to take responsibility that's a different story.
  • Nov 12, 2008, 01:03 PM
    macksmom

My daughter's bio father just recently relinquish his parental rights and my husband adopted her.
    She will be issued a new birth certificate with my husband listed as the father.
    Her bio father has no legal rights to her... and never will.

These are things you need to think about. It may seem like something you want to do now... but you need to understand, this decision is for a lifetime.

You will NEVER have rights to your child every again.

My daughters bio father was never really involved in her life after I left him when I was pregnant. She needed more stability in her life. So I am glad to be able to have that for her. But it hurts me to think of what I am going to say to her when she gets older and asks about it. She is almost 7 now... so she knows what has happened but doesn't fully understand it yet, I think. I got a copy of her original birth certificate with her bio fathers name listed, just for her to have in the future should she ever want it.

But just remember... this is a big decision and will live with you forever.

My daughter's bio father still tells his friends that my husband didn't adopt her. He just tells them that I agreed to stop child support... he doesn't want them to know he relinquish rights to his child.
  • Dec 22, 2008, 03:56 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eileen1218 View Post
    First of all why would want you want to sign away your parental rights to your child?
    In Pa. one can sign away rights but still have responsibility to the child. In Pa. one has to pay child support even if you have no rights to the child. This could be something to think about.

Would you post the Pennsylvania law that allows a parent to sign away rights to the child? This is a question on another thread and I cannot find the law you are referencing.