Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Child & Teen Health (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   For girls:how much and for how many years have you grown after first period? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=829523)

• Dec 25, 2016, 10:50 AM
    carol henry
    For girls:how much and for how many years have you grown after first period?
    How tall are your father and mother? At what age did you get your first period?how many centimeters did you grow after first period?and after how many years of getting first period did you stop growing taller?
  • Dec 25, 2016, 12:06 PM
    Wondergirl
    My mother is 5'8" and my father was 5'9". I'm 5' and am the same height my grandmothers were. My first period (and periods in general) had nothing to do with my growth in height. Height depends on which genes a person inherits.
  • Dec 25, 2016, 04:05 PM
    tickle
    Your question can go no where. Menstual cycle has nothing to do with growth or genes
  • Dec 25, 2016, 04:12 PM
    joypulv
    Genes for height usually, but not always, tend to be inherited from the same sex parent.
    You are a 5"2 girl at age 14, your father is 5'8" and your mother is 5'3.
    Chances are you will be within an inch either way of 5'3.
    What is your concern? I've been 5'2 for 70 years. Actually I've shrunk an inch. I didn't inherit any of my physique from my father.
    I hope you aren't in China, where we have all heard that the wish to be taller is an obsession.
  • Dec 25, 2016, 10:57 PM
    carol henry
    I know that growing taller stops after two years of having first period.Is this true?
  • Dec 26, 2016, 04:44 AM
    joypulv
    NO. You have been told that the two are unrelated.
    If you are going to obsess over this, get some help.

In an older post, your periods stopped after you exercised and lost weight. You didn't answer any questions about how much you lost over how much time.
    Why should we keep answering your questions?
    Why are you not willing to believe what we tell you?
  • Dec 26, 2016, 02:16 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

I know that growing taller stops after two years of having first period.Is this true?
    You state that you know, and then ask if it's true.

You know nothing, because it isn't true.

Your period and growing have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
  • Dec 27, 2016, 08:02 AM
    DoulaLC
    It's important to keep in mind that growth changes will vary during puberty. The idea of two years after a first period being an automatic stopping point is incorrect.

As has been said, your own personal genetic make up will be the major factor in when you start your periods, development, and growth. You very well may see little or no growth in height in the next couple of years after a first period, but some will stop sooner, while others will find growth continues awhile longer.

You can see why there can be a range when you consider that some girls will have their first period at 9 or 10 while others will be 15 or 16, with the majority in between.