Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Children (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Having a baby (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=26458)

• May 22, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Sharleen
    I would really like to have a baby but I understood that if me and my partner have the same blood type we will not be able to have a baby. I am AB positive and my partner is also the same. Will we not be able to have a baby as we have the same blood type

My partner have been having unprotected sex for eight yrs now and I have never been pregnant not once. What do you think might be the problem. A friend told me it might be because we have the same blood type AB positive. Can you give me a doctor's advice please on the situation.

Thanks
  • May 22, 2006, 12:33 PM
    RickJ
    It is not true that folk of the same blood type cannot have a baby.
  • May 22, 2006, 01:28 PM
    CaptainForest
    I agree with Rick. That is simply not true.

Your baby's blood type will be A, B, or AB.

That is untrue, 2 people of the same blood type can have children together.

The fact it has been 8 years means that either you have physically something wrong with you or he has something wrong with him.

Go to a fertility doctor for some tests and the Dr. can then tell you the exact problem that is wrong with you.
  • May 22, 2006, 02:32 PM
    Chery
    OK, I don't know who has been guiding you in sexuality and health issues, but you've been getting the wrong scoop from somewhere.

If you have been in an inprotected relationship for so long and not gotten pregnant, there could be two reasons:

1. You were very lucky and always had sex during unfirtile times.

2. You or your partner are not able to produce a child, either due to a problem you have in producing firtile eggs, or your partner does not produce fertile sperm.

You could also have a condition that prevents you from ovulating due to a previous illness or infection. This does not always need to be felt or painful, but still there.

The best bet for you is to see a doctor to reassure yourself that there is nothing wrong, or if so, that it can be treated.

You only have one body in this lifetime - and it will only be as good as you are to it. SEE A DOCTOR.

P.S. Just a little information - one main 'blood' problem with a fetus is if you are Rhesus Factor Positive and the baby has an RH Factor of Negative - and even this can be monitored and treated if evaluated by a doctor in the early stages.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_9_16.gif Good luck, see your doctor, and keep us posted.
  • May 22, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    If you are not getting pregnant, and I have a horror story on that one for my last child. It took two years and the last year was on the method where you only tried at very, very specific times.

There really is no yes or no why sometimes it happens on the first or even only time, and other times it seems like it never happens.

Assuming you are both healthy and can have children, a full exam of both parties is never a bad idea.
  • May 23, 2006, 05:54 AM
    Sharleen
    Thanks for the guidance. But my partner has a child already who is 8 yrs old. Could u let me if it is my uterus that has the problem because it is retroverted and a doctor told me that I don't ovulate every month. It is also very difficult for me to check my fertile days because my period change dates very often.
  • May 23, 2006, 06:00 AM
    fredg
    Hi, Sharleen,
    You have some good answers.
    Your Doctor would be the best one to ask about checking your fertile days, with the period change dates often.
    He/she can suggest something. If they can't, then I would get another opinion from a different Doctor. One who is willing to discuss this with you in detail.
    I do wish you both the best.
  • Jun 1, 2006, 06:55 PM
    s_cianci
    I'm no doctor but wherever did you get the story that you can't conceive because you and your partner have the same blood type? There are only 4 blood types known to humanity, 8 when you include the Rh factor. If what you say were true it'd be pretty hard for us to sustain ourselves as a species as there'd be an awful lot of people who'd never be able to have babies together. If you've been trying to conceive for 8 years and have been unsuccessful, then it's likely that one or the both of you are infertile. Either he has a low sperm count or you have defective or no egg cells. You can consult with a fertility expert if you like. It will probably be costly. Either way, blood type has little to do with anything. Blood type is only potentially a problem if an already pregnant woman is Rh negative but her baby is Rh positive. This can create a dangerous situation if any of the baby's blood mixes with the mother's, in which case the mother's immune system will produce antibodies against the Rh antigen from the baby's blood. These antibodies can in turn harm the baby. As for preventing pregnancy in the first place, however, blood type plays no role whatsoever.
  • Jun 2, 2006, 08:48 AM
    Michou
    I don't want to alarm but my good friend has also been trying to conceive for a long time to no avail. I asked her a simple question... Are your menstrual cycles normal? It turns out that she is RH negative. This was causing her to miss carry the babies before she ever even knew she was pregnant. It may be worth investigating.
  • Sep 25, 2007, 10:07 AM
    JamieLynn
    That blood type thing is ridiculous