Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Etiquette (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Reducing all subject matter to religion (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=1928)

• Feb 8, 2004, 09:59 AM
    joycesewandsew
    Reducing all subject matter to religion
    What is the best way to handle overly religious family members who refuse to stop talking about religion. Even though I've explained to them many times that I prefer not to discuss relgion, they refuse to respect my wishes.
    Please advise,
    joycesewandsew
  • Feb 8, 2004, 11:04 AM
    labman
    Re: Reducing all subject matter to religion
    Bores are bores, whether the subject is religion, politics, sex, cars, etc. I don't know that religion needs to be singled out. After all Christians have to listen to people going on and on about offensive things like promiscuous sex and sharp business dealings. Maybe you are even setting them off with some of your choice of subject matter. We do not choose our family. Try to be a little more tolerant.
  • Feb 8, 2004, 02:46 PM
    speedball1
    Hey Joyce, You have a choice here. You can tell them that religious discussions (1) bore me, (2) upset me, since I'm not a fundamentalist, (3) If you're trying to convert me, it's not working, or(4) (my favorite) "I just read the Bible and put it under skeptical analysis and the more I read the more I'm leaning towards secular humanism. Would you like to set down for a hour or so while I explain it to you?" Just "outbore" them. Hallelujah! Cheers Tom
  • Jun 1, 2004, 10:05 PM
    loveland80537
    Joyce:

Are these the same relatives that come crashing in on you without the courtesy of a phone call?

Let me get this straight - after they barge in on you they insist on talking about religion, even though you've asked them not to.

Sounds like they don't respect you or your wishes. They totally ignore you.

When they insist on talking religion, tell them to knock it off. Period. Save it for Sunday Church Chat. You aren't interested.

Maybe if you make them mad enough, they won't keep dropping in on you!

Good luck!
  • Jul 4, 2004, 03:05 AM
    Gkhster
    Reducing all subject matter to religion
    I consider myself a very spiritual (as opposed to religious) person. However, I'd rather lead people to ask me about God based on what they see different in me.

Being religious is NOT a license to be rude!

Since these people seem to be hard headed, perhaps you could tell them,

"I'll be happy to talk about your religion as soon as I see it exhibited in your life!"

They might get mad, but, oh well, they have to forgive you!

I hope that this helps,

Guy
  • Sep 13, 2005, 04:08 PM
    Morganite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joycesewandsew
    What is the best way to handle overly religious family members who refuse to stop talking about religion. Even though I've explained to them many times that I prefer not to discuss relgion, they refuse to respect my wishes.
    Please advise,
    joycesewandsew

If they are in their own home, then you have to suffer whatever topics they choose to talk about.

If they are in your own home (even if it is mortgaged or rented), then you are at liberty to direct the topics of conversation. If they do not respond to gently your hints or shouted commands, firing a gun into the ceiling usually works.

Good luck.

MORGANITE
  • Sep 13, 2005, 04:10 PM
    Morganite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gkhster
    I consider myself a very spiritual (as opposed to religious) person. However, I'd rather lead people to ask me about God based on what they see different in me.

Being religious is NOT a license to be rude!

Since these people seem to be hard headed, perhaps you could tell them,

"I'll be happy to talk about your religion as soon as I see it exhibited in your life!"

They might get mad, but, oh well, they have to forgive you!

I hope that this helps,

Guy

LOL

MORGANITE
  • Sep 14, 2005, 07:53 AM
    fredg
    Talk about religion
    Hi,
    Some are very religious, and it's their life... just like mine. But, some can go "overboard" with it in talking with others.
    You have two choices:
    1. Just stay away from them.
    2. Join in, maybe you might like the idea of being more religious than you are.

You didn't state whether you live in the same house or not.
    But, it wouldn't make any difference on how you handle it.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
  • Oct 3, 2005, 08:51 PM
    becky92029
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joycesewandsew
    Please advise,
    joycesewandsew

Hi Joyce,
    I can't help you with your question, but am curious as to why you don't want to discuss it? Is it because you have your own, different religion or just not interested in religion(s) at all? I'm a Christian, but like to talk about others as well as my own sect. I've had fascinating conversations this way and even if nobody ends up agreeing, learned lots! If they are being outright heretics, ask them for chapter and verse or help them by showing them yours!
    Becky
    If they refuse to use the bible as a standard, they are then just full of gas.
  • Oct 4, 2005, 12:06 AM
    psi42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball1
    (4) (my favorite) "I just read the Bible and put it under skeptical analysis and the more I read the more I'm leaning towards secular humanism. Would you like to set down for a hour or so while I explain it to you?"

Better yet (assuming you are in your home or some "neutral" place and you don't mind offending them), tell them you _are_ turning secular humanist/athiest/agnostic and start talking about massive bisexual orgies and all that fun stuff.

That will probably make them avoid future conversations with you.

(That was not meant to be taken seriously, by the way. Just in case ;)).
  • Oct 4, 2005, 03:55 PM
    Morganite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by becky92029
    Hi Joyce,
    I can't help you with your question, but am curious as to why you don't want to discuss it? Is it because you have your own, different religion or just not interested in religion(s) at all? I'm a Christian, but like to talk about others as well as my own sect. I've had fascinating conversations this way and even if nobody ends up agreeing, learned lots! If they are being outright heretics, ask them for chapter and verse or help them by showing them yours!
    Becky
    If they refuse to use the bible as a standard, they are then just full of gas.

They could use the Koran as standard.

Lots of people do. Christianity is not the only religion people have.

MORGANITE

:)
  • Oct 4, 2005, 04:06 PM
    becky92029
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Morganite
    They could use the Koran as standard.

Lots of people do. Christianity is not the only religion people have.

MORGANITE

Correct. You got me.
  • Oct 4, 2005, 04:22 PM
    becky92029
    Quote:

Originally Posted by becky92029
    Correct. You got me.

Within the framework of this forum, I mean - I'm handicapped by the rules. If you'll PM me with your e-mail addy, I could then answer your above post.
    ;)
  • Oct 8, 2005, 10:01 AM
    booyah
    I usually deal with overtly religious people by telling them that I agree with them (even if I don't), and then I hope that they shut up.

A lot of these fundamentalist folks think they have an obligation to "save others." If they are under the impression that you are already on their side, they won't find it necessary to babble on about their beliefs in an attempt to convert you to their way of looking at the world.
  • Oct 9, 2005, 05:50 AM
    Morganite
    ?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by booyah
    I usually deal with overtly religious people by telling them that I agree with them (even if I don't), and then I hope that they shut up.

A lot of these fundamentalist folks think they have an obligation to "save others." If they are under the impression that you are already on their side, they won't find it necessary to babble on about their beliefs in an attempt to convert you to their way of looking at the world.

I apologize if I have ever 'babbled' to anyone.

MORGANITE