Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Dress code (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=127723)

• Sep 9, 2007, 06:59 PM
    theworld1
    Dress code
    If I am a woman who does not feel comftable wearing closed clothing, can I wear shirts that are open but only show a little bit of cleavage? I am not that big so the shirts only make me feel more attractive.
  • Sep 10, 2007, 02:40 AM
    Marily
    And what about the men that will look at you and might commit adultery in their hearts because of the way you have presented yourself? Are you a born again christian?
  • Sep 10, 2007, 01:23 PM
    kindj
    Marily,

I see and understand your point. However, men aren't as weak-willed and easily tempted as that. As Christian men, we know we are to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5).

A momentary "Wow!" and then moving on isn't the same as deliberate wanton lust.

If we follow that train of thought, then women should still be wearing those things that squash them down and make them look like boys.

A lady can be wearing a "Little House on the Prairie" dress and I, being an adult male, know reasonably well what lies underneath. I don't need cleavage or a short skirt to tell me if a lady's body is attractive or not.
  • Sep 10, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Emland
    I wouldn't allow it as an HR manager in my workplace. It could lead to too many problems.

If you can find an employer that doesn't have a problem with it, or don't have to work, there's nothing to stop you.
  • Sep 10, 2007, 06:14 PM
    paraclete
    I suggest you think more of others than of yourself. It is expected that women will dress modestly particularly in Church and not seek to attract the attention of men. We are not to be conformed to the world.
  • Sep 11, 2007, 04:13 PM
    theworld1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marily
    And what about the men that will look at you and might commit adultery in their hearts because of the way you have presented yourself? Are you a born again christian?

I don't think that they will commit adultery in they're hearts by just by a little of cleavage.
  • Sep 11, 2007, 04:18 PM
    theworld1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kindj
    Marily,

I see and understand your point. However, men aren't as weak-willed and easily tempted as that. As Christian men, we know we are to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5).

A momentary "Wow!" and then moving on isn't the same as deliberate wanton lust.

If we follow that train of thought, then women should still be wearing those things that squash them down and make them look like boys.

A lady can be wearing a "Little House on the Prairie" dress and I, being an adult male, know reasonably well what lies underneath. I don't need cleavage or a short skirt to tell me if a lady's body is attractive or not.

To: KindJ
    I just want to feel pretty and look pretty, with a little of cleavage rather than a t-shirt that I always wear, not wanting to appear like a slut, or wear tight leather pants with everything hanging out.
  • Sep 11, 2007, 05:40 PM
    shygrneyzs
    Where are you wearing the shirt with a little cleavage? If you are wearing it at work and it is not approved, then you know not to be dressed like that. If you are out in public, dining out, for example, be my guest and dress the way you want. One dress code does not fit for all situations. Unless, for religious reasons, there is a dress code that applies in all and every circumstance.
  • Sep 11, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Emland
    Are you talking about a v neck blouse or something else? I interpreted your original post to mean you wanted to wear a blouse unbuttoned way down. Guess I need a better understanding of what you mean to revise my opinion.
  • Sep 11, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    I guess the issue is that I don't know what type of clothes you are talking about,

As a pastor, I find some types of clothing to be distracting, and to me improper in church, blouses that look like things are going to jump out of, or skirts so short you hope they don't get a splinter from the church pew.

But this type of dress is not good for anywhere really.

But then my biggest issue is cell phones, and text messages during church, or phones ringing during church.

But there should not have to be a dress code ( we don't have one) but there should be common decent dress that everyone should just understand
  • Sep 12, 2007, 10:52 AM
    theworld1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emland
    I wouldn't allow it as an HR manager in my workplace. It could lead to too many problems.

If you can find an employer that doesn't have a problem with it, or don't have to work, there's nothing to stop you.

I would not wear it to work, but to a party or outside walking maybe in a park.
  • Sep 12, 2007, 10:55 AM
    theworld1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emland
    Are you talking about a v neck blouse or something else? I interpreted your original post to mean you wanted to wear a blouse unbuttoned way down. Guess I need a better understanding of what you mean to revise my opinion.

Emland: Just a shirt with a little bit of cleavage does not make me an undecent person, for appropriate situations.
  • Sep 12, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Emland
    I don't really understand what you are asking, I guess. When I first read your question I assumed you meant that you would wear the shirt opened, i.e. not button up your shirt at all.

So much depends on your culture, your values and where you work. What is appropriate to some is completely indecent to others. If you find that people look at your chest before they look at your face, you may want to reconsider your outfit.