Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Word Processing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   Word XP - Tab/ruler measurement is "ch". What is "ch"? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=78914)

• Apr 3, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Vonnie
    Word XP - Tab/ruler measurement is "ch". What is "ch"?
    Hi Guys

I'm actually an advanced Word user but I'm scratching my head over what seems to be a very basic (but frustrating) issue after recently installing Word XP/2002. :confused:

Note: I'm in Australia so I use metric. If you're using inches, 1.27cm = 1/2 inch. Not that it matters! I've tried in inches too...

Query 1: Tabs. My default tab stops are "3 ch". What the heck is "ch"? I change it to 1.27 cm (like all my other versions of Word at my various work places) but it goes back to 3 ch. (Of course, on the General tab in Tools | Options, my measurements are set to centimeters.) I've never seen "ch" before.

Query 2: Ruler Measurements. As stated above, my default measurement is centimeters. However, the measurements on my ruler bar are the mysterious "ch" again... (I have my default margins set up as 2cm top, 2cm bottom, 2cm left, 2cm right, 1.27cm header and footer and 0cm gutter. My paper size is A4 (21cm x 29.7cm).)

Query 3: Heck, forget query 3. Every single issue comes back to the mysterious measurement of "ch".

Any help / assistance / suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :D

Vonnie
  • Apr 3, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Vonnie
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vonnie
    Hi Guys

I'm actually an advanced Word user but I'm scratching my head over what seems to be a very basic (but frustrating) issue after recently installing Word XP/2002. :confused:

Note: I'm in Australia so I use metric. If you're using inches, 1.27cm = 1/2 inch. Not that it matters! I've tried in inches too...

Query 1: Tabs. My default tab stops are "3 ch". What the heck is "ch"? I change it to 1.27 cm (like all my other versions of Word at my various work places) but it goes back to 3 ch. (Of course, on the General tab in Tools | Options, my measurements are set to centimeters.) I've never seen "ch" before.

Query 2: Ruler Measurements. As stated above, my default measurement is centimeters. However, the measurements on my ruler bar are the mysterious "ch" again... (I have my default margins set up as 2cm top, 2cm bottom, 2cm left, 2cm right, 1.27cm header and footer and 0cm gutter. My paper size is A4 (21cm x 29.7cm).)

Query 3: Heck, forget query 3. Every single issue comes back to the mysterious measurement of "ch".

Any help / assistance / suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :D

Vonnie

I found the answer! Here it is for anyone else who experiences the same problem. (By the way, the "ch" measurement I referred to is known as "character units" and is apparently an undesirable aspect of the Asian languages compatibility - undesirable for non-Asian languages that is!

Strange Ruler Measurements
    Or
    You cannot change ruler measurement unit from character units after upgrade to Office XP

Vonnie.