Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Leaky/free turning shower handle (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=17896)

• Jan 15, 2006, 11:15 AM
    BDomon
    Leaky/free turning shower handle
    I've seen similar posts with fixes (from Speedball, particularly), but I can't find a specific answer for one thing.

My shower/tub is a single handle Stanadyne. The handle spins too far in each direction and there's a constant leak from the faucet. From what I've read, I need to replace the cartridge, but I can't figure out how to take the handle apart. The moen site says either the round piece in the middle of the handle will pry off, or there's a hex screw underneath. But mine has neither. The handle seems to be one solid piece of plastic (teardrop shaped), and underneath is just a metal sleeve that goes into the plastic on one end and into the wall on the other - no screw. The sleeve moves and has notched along the bottom, but there's not enough room to see or use a screw if there is one.

Am I just blind? Any help will do wonder for your karma. My mother-in-law is staying with us to help with a new baby - so some of you might be able to imagine what a relief it would be to get this fixed!

Thanks.
  • Jan 15, 2006, 11:43 AM
    speedball1
    Stanadyne bought Moen. And if you have one of their valves remove the handle and pull the chrome stop tube straight out. Turn off shut off valves underneath the shower valve.
    Remove retainer clip (copper horseshoe shaped clip) and pull out cartridge with channel locks, pliers, or cartridge puller. Lube new cartridge with silicone jel and
    Insert the cartridge with hole on the stem facing the 6 o'clock position, or down in a tub/shower.
    Reinsert retainer clip and screw in handle assembly, followed by the cap or insert button. Turn water back on. When you have the cartridge out check the inlet ports for any trash and before you install the new cartridge turn on the water and chec k the flow from the open valve body. You're flushing the water supply lines. If there is a diminished flow then the blockage is most likely in the seat of the shut off valve. If there is no access hole for the shut off stops then your valves have integral screw driver stops located on each side of the valve body. Hot stop on the left, cold is on the right. They can be reached by removing the two screws and removing the chrome cover plate. Good luck, Tom
  • Jan 15, 2006, 12:29 PM
    BDomon
    But how do I remove the handle? I don't see a top to pry off - it looks like one solid piece of plastic, and there's no screw underneath.
  • Jan 15, 2006, 01:01 PM
    raykdogs
    Knob Cover
    The handle should have a circle in the center about 2 inches in diameter. If you run your fingernail from the center of that circle, you should feel a groove around the circle. Use a small screwdriver (or knife) and pry that circle. Behind the circle will be a screw that will come out to remove the handle.

This is similar to most sink faucet handles as well.

I hope that helps.
    Ray
  • Jan 15, 2006, 01:03 PM
    speedball1
    "But how do I remove the handle? I don't see a top to pry off - it looks like one solid piece of plastic, and there's no screw underneath."

Is there a insert on the handle? If so pop it off and see the screw. If not then look around the edge and see if you can spot a Allen Head Set Screw that connects the handle to the stem. If everythings fails send me a picture of the handle. Cheers, Tom