Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Office Politics (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Light duty work found (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=244759)

• Aug 3, 2008, 06:44 AM
    baincristina
    Light duty work found
    Employer has job for me in the office light duty but I must drive 240 miles a day! On pain pills and muscle relaxers. This legal?? I was on workers comp dr said light duty
  • Aug 3, 2008, 06:54 AM
    George_1950
    You need to communicate with your doctor about driving while taking medications. It is my understanding that if you are medically cleared to work and the employer has a position for you, and you do not show up, you can lose (forfeit) your WC benefits. If you are having side-effects that impact your ability to work, consult with your doc immediately.
  • Aug 3, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    If your doctor released you to work light duty, and they have it available, then yes you have to do it, *** IF this is your regular work place. So on a regular work dayyou drive that many miles?

Also you asked similar questions weeks ago, the answers did not change.
    So your doctor has to take away the light duy available, or you have to find a way to get to work
  • Aug 3, 2008, 11:51 AM
    baincristina
    On a regular work day I drive 5 miles I live in cape may the office they now want me is next to New York 2 and 1 half hours away
  • Aug 3, 2008, 11:56 AM
    George_1950
    Are you having a problem with the meds? Do some research and see if there is a warning against driving, etc. If so, report to your doctor about this and additional limitations. This sounds like a 'transfer'; it sounds to me as though the employer wants you to quit. You may need to contact the State Board of WC, or a private attorney, with regard to this development. It does not sound reasonable.
  • Aug 3, 2008, 12:43 PM
    baincristina
    Big warning on ultram its just like drinking and driving
  • Aug 7, 2008, 03:53 AM
    baincristina
    Doctor gave me note no driving on ultram. So I am good until injections work! Thanks to all who helped me
  • Aug 7, 2008, 06:36 AM
    George_1950
    So you have a bit of time for convalescence, but I'm still concerned about an offer of employment 2.5 hours away. You could call the state board of worker compensation and see it someone will help you with your question. But understand that even if someone at the board told you that you didn't have to accept the offer, the employer could still terminate you, just to challenge you to a legal hearing. So, your best bet may be to locate a good WC attorney who will shed some light on your situation. That is not to say you have to sign a contract to retain the lawyer at this point.
  • Sep 7, 2008, 01:38 PM
    dontknownuthin
    I would recommend that you contact whomever oversees your disability claim and advise them of the specific medications you are taking and any directions that you not drive while on them. Get your doctor involved if you must. They are trying to get out of paying your claim for disability, of course, but I've found (I have never claimed disability but have had an employer try to prevent me from collecting unemployment) that the state will generally be biased toward the employee, not the employer, for a refreshing change of pace! They will never sanction or require you to drive on the type of medications you are talking about - the liability is too great.