Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Interior Home Improvement (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Fake Brick on kitchen wall (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=25218)

• Apr 25, 2006, 09:05 AM
    Cgirl
    Fake Brick on kitchen wall
    Does anyone know how to remove fake brick off a wall, if we remove it will it take off the plaster? Maybe it would be better just to paint it?
  • Apr 25, 2006, 09:12 AM
    RickJ
    Painting it will definitely be far less work.

Yes, you'll damage some of the wall in removing the fake brick stuff, but nothing that patching can't handle. It would just be a lot more work than painting it.
  • Apr 25, 2006, 09:17 AM
    Cgirl
    Thanks, I just don't know what these people were thinking that decorated this house, wood panneling in the living room, fake brick in the kitchen, carpet in EVERY room of the house (even the bathroom and kitchen, yuck!) So we are painting, putting in new carpet, tiling a bathroom and moving in 5 days. AAAAAHHHH!! Thanks for the advice, I think I will paint it instead, we don't need any more extra work than we already have.
  • Apr 25, 2006, 09:19 AM
    RickJ
    I know what they were thinking: Brady Bunch! :p
  • Apr 25, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Cgirl
    Exactly, HEHE! :)
  • Apr 25, 2006, 10:03 AM
    kp2171
    Worse comes to worse just rip it off in a fit.

Patching up holes is easy enough and you might still always look at that wall and say "i hate that painted brick".

Course its also a cheap mistake to throw on some paint and then later decide to rip it down. Probably better to do it that way.

Why is it the previous owners are always decorating morons? Ours apparently didn't believe in priming anything... paint comes off it you sneeze too hard.

Well not really but almost.
  • Apr 25, 2006, 10:07 AM
    RickJ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kp2171
    course its also a cheap mistake to throw on some paint and then later decide to rip it down. probably better to do it that way.

Yes, that's the gist of my thought.
  • Apr 25, 2006, 10:33 AM
    Cgirl
    Thanks guys, I think I will probably just paint it for now and then maybe in the future when we are not doing umpteen other things to the house, we will rip it down and patch it. Yea, I think these people were stuck in 1970 and never came out of that decade. Oh well, that's why we bought it, it's a great house, it just needs new decorating ideas :) It has great potential!
  • Mar 4, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Daveshart
    I've got the same "fake brick" problem but am trying to figure out a way to get this fake brick off without damaging the existing cabients that we've chosen not to replace. The fake brick goes right up to the cabinets. I'd used paint stripper in a previous house to clean up the adhesive on a couple of walls when I removed tile... I was wondering if anyone knew if paint stripper would work on that fake brick grout? My plan was to chip off the brick and use stripper to remove the grout/glue ?