Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Landline Phones (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=460)
-   -   Ideas How To Stop Annoying Phone Calls?? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=800250)

• Aug 27, 2014, 02:01 PM
    NorPlan
    Ideas How To Stop Annoying Phone Calls??
    Short of changing out our home phone number for a new number any ideas on how we could curtail or eliminate pesky persistent unwanted Telemarketer Phone Calls? We are Registered with the National Do Not Call List.. All we've been able to glean is the call originates from New Jersey.. The extremely annoying part if one picks up a clicking noise is heard and music begins to play, nothing else no adult voice to great you either.. We have Ident A Call , so when the Ringing Phone is ignored and the Ringing stops 2 minutes later another phone number appears same area code.. So much for the Do Not Call Registry..?
  • Aug 27, 2014, 02:25 PM
    Wondergirl
    Is it from the 973 area code? I get telemarketing calls from there.

We've gotten a few telemarketing calls from our own landline number. My husband (retired from AT&T) gave a name for that, can't remember. Beware!

Maybe someone here has a solution. Many of those calls don't have a human at the other end.
  • Aug 27, 2014, 03:41 PM
    NorPlan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Is it from the 973 area code? I get telemarketing calls from there.
    Maybe someone here has a solution. Many of those calls don't have a human at the other end.

It's an 844 area code...
  • Aug 27, 2014, 04:01 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
    It's an 844 area code...

That's a toll-free area code. It might be originating in NJ, but is not one of the state's area codes. (I guess you said that.) It looks like there are reports on it by others who claim it's a scam ad (but usually no one answers).

ScottGem or others here will, I hope, weigh in. I've found that being on the Do Not Call list doesn't help much.
  • Aug 27, 2014, 04:16 PM
    NorPlan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    That's a toll-free area code. It might be originating
    ScottGem or others here will, I hope, weigh in. I've found that being on the Do Not Call list doesn't help much..

That's t's the thing with the Do Not Call List.. Telemarketers have found a Loop Hole.. lol...
  • Aug 27, 2014, 06:36 PM
    ScottGem
    Have you reported the calls to your carrier?
  • Aug 27, 2014, 07:16 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Several things, on the Do Not Call List.

First many companies, and spammers just ignore it.

Next, if that company has any partnership, with a bank, or a club, or a store where you have a membership card, they can call you.
  • Aug 28, 2014, 04:45 AM
    WallyHelps
    Here is what I do. It is not for everyone, and it won't completely solve the problem but it does give me a little satisfaction when a telemarketer gets zapped.

First of all, you need to have a computer that is on all the time. My home office desktop, for example.
    Next, you need a fax/modem card (or external USB modem).
    Third, get PhoneTray software (http://www.phonetray.com/) and install it. Please note I have NO association with this company--I just use it.

What happens is that when a call comes in the caller ID info is examined by PhoneTray and if the number is on your "blacklist", it will get answered by the program and your choice of message is played. Could be "this number is not in service", "telemarketers are not accepted", etc. There are a good number of messages included.

You can add numbers that slip through to your blacklist, or for a small annual subscription fee you can access PhoneTray's online database (the program will do this automatically) and numbers in that list will be blocked. A blocked number will ring once and then get zapped. I can usually never get to the phone on the first ring anyway!

Like I said, this is not for everyone because there is some effort to initially set it up and get things working smoothly. However, once this is done you will find telemarketing calls to be less bothersome. If only the Do Not Call list would have worked like it was promoted to us.

Note that there is a lot more about PhoneTray that I did not mention here. If interested, just check out their website. I've been using this program for just about a year now.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH