Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Etiquette (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Wedding Ivitation Wife Deceased (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=66167)

• Feb 25, 2007, 06:59 AM
    tommeitz
    Wedding Ivitation Wife Deceased
    We are about ready to write wedding invitations and need to know the proper way. My wife died two years ago and my son is getting married. Would Use just my name as his parent or use mine along with my late wife's name. She is the mother of my son.:confused:
  • Feb 25, 2007, 07:10 AM
    tickle
    I would say keep the invitation light and easy as it should be. You could mention his mom's name in brackets, i.e.

'and son of the late'

But I would suggest not using this at all. You are not being disrespectful in anyway by doing so.
  • Feb 25, 2007, 07:18 AM
    shygrneyzs
    In the engagement announcement that goes to the newspaper, you can use "son of Mr. John Doe and the late Susan Doe". In the wedding invitation, you use your name and drop your late wife's name. It is not disrespectful.
  • Feb 25, 2007, 12:02 PM
    RubyPitbull
    Tom, first let me offer belated condolences on your wife's passing. I am so sorry she did not get the opportunity to experience this personal joy.

In case you need a second opinion, shygrneyzs is absolutely correct. The newspaper announcement is when you mention your late wife, as shy has laid out here. The wedding invite, you only use your name. That is the proper etiquette in these situations.

Congratulations to you, on your son's imminent wedding! :)
  • Feb 25, 2007, 12:17 PM
    tommeitz
    Thanks to all that responded. Tom
  • Feb 25, 2007, 12:39 PM
    tinsign
    I am so sorry to hear about your loved one passing and would like to extend my condolences... as to the invite I would put the son of mr._ and the late mrs_
  • Mar 5, 2007, 11:13 AM
    lacuran8626
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tommeitz
    we are about ready to write wedding invitations and need to know the proper way. My wife died two years ago and my son is getting married. Would Use just my name as his parent or use mine along with my late wifes name. She is the mother of my son.:confused:

One more view point... whether you mention her will depend on how it is worded, which depends in large part on whether you are hosting the wedding. If it is, "the honor or your company is requested by (parents names) for the marriage of our children", you should definitely not mention her name. If, however, your name is included as in, "Brides parents names request the honor of your company at the marriage of their daughter (her name), and (his name), son of...", you have the option of listing "Mr. John Doe and the late Mrs. Mary Doe" if you wish.

The difference is that, of course, a deceased individual should not be listed as the host of an occasion, but can certainly be acknowledged as your son's mother.
  • Apr 15, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Lillian42
    My father passes away and when I got married I put his name in saying he was my late father I thinks its disrespectful not to
  • Apr 15, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Lillian42
    Oops I meant to say my father passed away! Sorry guys.
  • May 20, 2008, 01:11 AM
    sampatrick
    There are many wedding invitation cards available in internet. You can view them and pick from any of those. It might help you.
  • May 20, 2008, 07:53 PM
    shellyjo68
    To include my late step-mother in my wedding; for the father/daughter dance we danced to her favorite song (thankfully it wasn't "Wipe Out"!) and send a flower from my bouquet home with my sister for her (sister has her ashes). We didn't include her in the invitations because she was not hosting.