Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Education (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Need help deciding on school (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=499252)

• Aug 17, 2010, 08:04 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Need help deciding on school
    Hi there,

So I have no idea what I want to do with my life, so I thought I would take a shot in the dark. Can someone help me decide? My deciding factors are basically this: Will the school accept financial aid? Is the entire course less than a year?

Thanks.
  • Aug 17, 2010, 08:14 PM
    J_9

Less than a year? Not if you really want a good education.
  • Aug 17, 2010, 08:42 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma

I'm not looking to become a doctor. I'm looking for a trade program.
  • Aug 17, 2010, 08:53 PM
    Wondergirl

Your county's community college should offer a number of certificate programs that usually run a year or perhaps 15 months. There are nursing programs, library technical assistant programs, auto mechanic programs, cooking programs, child care programs, blood lab programs, etc.
  • Aug 17, 2010, 08:58 PM
    Wondergirl

Maybe this?

Welcome to Clark College

Check financial aid.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 11:00 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma

I know where I can find the programs. I was actually asking for opinions, personal experience, good ideas. A list of programs isn't going to give me any perspective.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 11:26 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I know where I can find the programs. I was actually asking for opinions, personal experience, good ideas. A list of programs isn't gonna give me any perspective.

Actually, yes, a list of programs will tell you what's available in your area. Distance courses are also an option with those programs.

I suggest you go to your community college's career office and take some interest and personality tests to find out who you are and what you're good at. That might guide you a bit. Talk with a career counselor. What do you like to do -- work with your hands, do lots of math and enjoy working with numbers, help people physically or emotionally or by waiting on them somehow? Do you like to work alone or with a bunch of people? Do you like working during night hours? Indoors or outdoors? In a strict structure or with lots of freedom?
  • Aug 18, 2010, 11:35 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma

That's a good idea. But I'm not doing that, I'm asking you people for suggestions. Not for a list of programs. I want personal suggestions, stories, and opinions.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Wondergirl

Personal story: I started as a teacher, became a librarian, later got a master's degree to be a counselor. I especially loved the people contact and being able to help them in various ways all three of those jobs. I also loved the detail and organizing of stuff that came with all three jobs. I did not become rich doing any of those jobs. In fact, I poured my own money back into all of those jobs to make things better for myself and for my students/patrons/clients.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 11:42 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma

That's a good story. I like jobs where I'm helping someone. And I feel like I've made a difference in someone else's existence at the end of the day. I just saw a job for a pregnancy yoga teacher. That would be a cool job if I knew how to teach yoga, or even do yoga.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 11:46 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    That's a good story. I like jobs where I'm helping someone. And I feel like I've made a difference in someone else's existance at the end of the day. I just saw a job for a pregnancy yoga teacher. That would be a cool job if I knew how to teach yoga, or even do yoga.

Combine that with baby massage. I have a friend who is a chiropractor in Boulder, CO. In the evenings, she teaches yoga to any age of people including pregnant ones and senior citizens. She also hold classes on baby massage and other body touching techniques to soothe babies and small children. She's branching out into animal massage.

Reike and other stress-relieving techniques are very "in" right now -- and will continue to be.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 11:48 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma

That's cool. That's a good idea.
    I will think on that one for a while.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 11:56 AM
    slapshot_oi

If you want a degree in under a year, then I suggest to save your money. The most you'd be able to get is a certificate which a is offered one to anyone with a puls. Employers know this, so the return on this investment is non-existant.

You mentioned yoga. My cousin is now a yoga instructor after years of training with another yogi. No formal education needed.

Even if the trade you want to do is, let's say welding, you'd be better off doing it the old fashioned way by means of apprenticeship. Granted, you have to know a welder but he's not going to charge you for an education.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 12:24 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma

See even the yoga job that I looked for asks for a certification. I hold a few already and they get me a higher pay and are required. A certification is just fine with me. That's all I'm really looking for. I don't want to be in school for a few years, I just want a better job.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 12:32 PM
    slapshot_oi

Wait, so you're saying you can go to a community college, get a certificate for about $900 give or take, and then be an instructor?
  • Aug 18, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    Wait, so you're saying you can go to a community college, get a certificate for about $900 give or take, and then be an instructor?

You can here in Illinois -- and even start your own school.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 01:30 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma

Yeah.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 05:55 PM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post

If that's the case, I'd choose another instructor. I would want one with experience and more education behind them than just a six month course.

I know you don't want to be a doctor Cherish, but anything that is worth it, is worth the time, effort and money.

Take LPN or CNA for example, their courses are over a year... 18 - 24 months in most cases.

If you want something quick, cheap and easy forget your local community college, you will most likely have to take some prerequisites even for the certification classes. Look more at your Vocational Schools.
  • Aug 18, 2010, 06:54 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma

CNA is not over a year. I took mine in 9 months. I was thinking more like vocational schools.