Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Health Insurance (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   We have no health insurance (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=47871)

• Dec 11, 2006, 08:37 AM
    theshopper
    We have no health insurance
    My husband has diabetes he is 59 yrs old unemployed as I am presently. Neither one of use have health insurance, I have high blood pressure and we are non-smokers. Is there any health insurance we can buy out there?
  • Dec 22, 2006, 08:41 PM
    clouded
    It would probably cost more then you mortgage/rent.
  • Dec 22, 2006, 08:53 PM
    RichardBondMan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by theshopper
    My husband has diabetes he is 59 yrs old unemployed as I am presently. Neither one of use have health insurance, I have high blood pressure and we are non-smokers. Is there any health insurance we can buy out there?!

Might be, you didn't say what state you live in but let me give you an example, I live in AL and Blue Cross / Blue Shield of AL, just had an "open enrollment" for people were not currently insured - ck with your BC / BS company in the state where you live -- ask them when their open enrollment is scheduled and if they can give you a price, details, going to be expensive, probably several hundred per mo for him and you. Also ck with the State ins dept where you live, ask them, ask them about the "Kennedy XXXXXX," Act, can't remember the name of the other Senator but they will know, might be some companies there for you. Be sure to ask about how long pre existing conditions are excluded.
  • Dec 23, 2006, 06:23 AM
    ordinaryguy
    If you can buy it at all, it will be very expensive, probably $1000+ per month for both of you. Welcome to the US of A.
  • Dec 23, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    You need to check with your state welfare department to see if you meet the requirements for the state medicaid coverage. Also various states, Like TN have state sponsored coverage for some people depending on many factors in IN it is called TN CARE, although the program has been cut it covers people who can not get medicaid.

** you did not mention it but for those reading with children many states have special program for children.

Private insurance if you are in good health will cost you about 500 to 600 or more per person for basic insurance. For example insurance just for me if my company did not pay a part of it, costs about 700 a month, I still pay about 300 dollars toward the plan.

My son who is 6, his plan costs us about 140 dollars a month and we went for a cheaper plan since his old plan when to over 200 a month.

And most private plans, unless there is a open enrollment will not cover pre existing things for at least a year.
  • Sep 25, 2007, 10:39 PM
    sheryl318
    I can help... Are you familiar with a company called AmeriPlan?

[email protected]