Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Internet & the Web (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   IE Address Bar Help (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=15043)

• Nov 19, 2005, 03:43 PM
    scottypsp
    IE Address Bar Help
    Does anyone know how to block the pulldown from dropping down on the address bar so all of the websites previously visited are not visible to other users?
  • Nov 19, 2005, 05:33 PM
    RickJ
    You can't block the drop down from the address bar.

Are you speaking of users looking over your shoulder, or users on the computer when you're away from it?
  • Nov 19, 2005, 05:52 PM
    Chery
    I answered to this one already, but it's not there.. Click on View, toolbars, and then take the checkmark off Addressbar at the top line of the I.E. If you have it passworded at work, you should not leave it available for other's to see anyway, and if you don't need it yourself, just don't have it show there..

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_8_14.gif
    P.S. We all do this on our free time and really appreciate feedback if our answers/advice helped or not, please click the Rate This Post link located on the blue date line above our names on the right side, next to the number of the post, click on Approve or Disapprove, and give a comment. Thanks!
  • Nov 19, 2005, 06:08 PM
    RickJ
    Just to note: I asked about the circumstances, because even if you turn off the address bar, your history is still viewable to anyone who's on your computer... that is, until you clear it (Tools > Internet Options > Clear History Button.
  • Nov 19, 2005, 06:10 PM
    Curlyben
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rickj
    Just to note: I asked about the circumstances, because even if you turn off the address bar, your history is still viewable to anyone who's on your computer...that is, until you clear it (Tools > Internet Options > Clear History Button.

A follow up to Rick's advice, is you set your History to ZERO days it will not keep the addresses in the drop down menu.
  • Nov 19, 2005, 06:13 PM
    RickJ
    Strange. I've tried that before... and even just tried it now - and that is not the case.

The best I'm able to able to see, the setting is no differen whether the field is at zero or at one.

Curlyben, if you set your's to zero then go to 3-4 sites, you're saying only the last one you were at is showing?
  • Nov 19, 2005, 06:13 PM
    Chery
    Yup, Yup, Yup to Curlyben and rickj! so do that too.;)
  • Nov 19, 2005, 06:16 PM
    Chery
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rickj
    Strange. I've tried that before...and even just tried it now - and that is not the case.

The best I'm able to able to see, the setting is no differen whether the field is at zero or at one.

curlyben, if you set your's to zero then go to 3-4 sites, you're saying only the last one you were at is showing?

I set mine to clear every day, and zero, but it only works sometimes. The option at work is just not to show the bar and hope that nobody's looking over the shoulder.. :)
  • Nov 19, 2005, 06:18 PM
    Curlyben
    It has the same effect as clearing histoy, but only on a reboot/user change.
  • Nov 19, 2005, 06:19 PM
    RickJ
    Cool. I can use that tip!
  • Nov 19, 2005, 07:02 PM
    scottypsp
    Another good way
    Thank you for all the good advice! They all work good, I have been working on this for a couple of hours and I think I found the permanent solution! Check this one out, after a little more searching I found that this actually disables the pull down all together!

Go to Registry by typing "regedit" in Run from the Start Menu
    Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Open Software
    Open Microsoft
    Open Internet Explorer
    Right Click "TypedURLs"
    Choose Permissions
    Highlight your username
    Check both deny and read boxes
    Click OK and you are good to go!
  • Nov 19, 2005, 07:08 PM
    martyrod
    Hiding Address Toolbar
    To change the appearance of the Windows toolbar:

You can add or remove standard toolbar buttons, use smaller toolbar buttons like the ones used in Microsoft Office, and change the order they are displayed on the toolbar. Just right-click the toolbar, and then click Customize.

You can move or resize the Address bar and Links bar by dragging them up, down, left, or right. You can even move them into the menu bar!
    You can hide the Address bar or Links bar by right-clicking the toolbar, and then clearing the check mark for each item you want to hide.
    You can add items to the Links bar by dragging the icon from the Address bar or dragging a link from a Web page.

You can rearrange items on the Links bar by dragging them to a new location on the bar.

I hope this helps you.