Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Nursing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Should I become a nurse? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=219032)

• May 23, 2008, 09:03 AM
    pumpkinjojo
    Should I become a nurse?
    I am profoundly deaf (very deaf) I have always wanted to become a nurse since I was young, my parents are both registered nurses (my dad works as a NUM (nursing unit manager) at a woman's correction centre, goal) and my mum works at a disability unit at westmead hospital.

I was told at school I'm not allowed to become a nurse because I am deaf, but I have heard in america deaf people can work but not in emergencies?
  • May 23, 2008, 09:06 AM
    J_9
    This is quite a disability that you will have to fight to get what you want. Do you wear hearing aids? Can you communicate verbally?

Have you considered becoming an interpreter?
  • May 23, 2008, 09:11 AM
    ashleyl
    To be honest with you, I am not sure how you could be an effective nurse since you are deaf. A nurse depends on her sense of hearing for so much. It would not be possible to pick up on heart tones and lungs sounds accurately because sometimes what you are listening for is very hard to detect. Even for someone with perfect hearing some of the tones and sounds are hard to pick up. I applaud your ambition. If a nurse is what you really want to be, you will find a way to be one. Good Luck.
  • May 23, 2008, 11:45 AM
    pumpkinjojo
    Just the normal routine, e.g take blood tests stuff like that... not that involve sounds... what about nursing admin? Aged care?
  • May 23, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    so much of all nursing, listening to what the patients have to say, hearing if their breathing is hard, hearing what the doctor is telling you when you are taking the blood pressure reading.

I don't know all the proper names, but the people who draw the blood and do lab tests, or perhaps the person who is doing the x-rays but to be honest I am trying to think of any area of real nursing.

How is your lip reading, if I was talking and facing you, could you understand everything I am saying ?
  • May 23, 2008, 11:41 PM
    pumpkinjojo
    Yes I would get ut because I was taught how to lipread so well
  • May 23, 2008, 11:51 PM
    rawsushi
    There's always the opportunity to become a phlebotomist...
  • May 23, 2008, 11:57 PM
    pumpkinjojo
    What's that?
  • May 24, 2008, 12:17 AM
    pumpkinjojo
    Ok what's the main keyword for that because I can't search it up in TAFEWA
  • May 24, 2008, 12:26 PM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinjojo
    whats that?

It's a person who takes blood. Just click on this link.

Phlebotomist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • May 24, 2008, 09:10 PM
    pumpkinjojo
    I search up for tafe courses I can't seem to find anything with that keyword does it ahave a specifiic topic to find it?