Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cats (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Cat pees outside the box (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=108490)

• Jul 10, 2007, 06:38 AM
    alkaline
    Cat pees outside the box
    At the beginning of July, my cat started urinating outside the box. She will be three in September, and she is a Ragdoll that (yay lost the weight!) is 12 pounds, if that is relevant.

The earliest vet appointment I could get was last Friday, about 4 days after this started. The vet said her bladder was so small he couldn’t even feel it, and that she most likely had a urinary infection, as I had suspected she might. He gave me a liquid medication to give her twice a day, and he also gave her some fluids shots so that she’d need to pee.

Friday night I got a urine sample from her (I had to wait about 12 hours for it) and I put it in the fridge and brought it in on Saturday morning. Today is Tuesday and I have not heard anything back from the vet as of yet.

My cat is terrible about taking the medicine. It takes two people to give it to her, she screams the whole time, and even though we shoot it down her throat she has an amazing ability to spit it back out. I have even started holding her mouth shut after giving it to her to force her to keep it down.

As of today she is still peeing outside of her box, and there are only two more doses of the medicine left. I am planning to call the vet today after work to get her another appointment.

I was wondering if any of you knew if there was a medication shot they could give her for this, since I am not sure exactly how much of the medicine she has been keeping down. Also, could there be another problem my vet did not look for?

As I had mentioned in a previous post, I was not satisfied with the vet I used about a month ago, so this is another new vet I haven’t had before. I love my cat like a child and I want to make sure she is getting good medical care and that they are looking for the right things.

Any opinions would be helpful and appreciated! :-)
  • Jul 13, 2007, 01:47 PM
    orangeknight
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alkaline
    At the beginning of July, my cat started urinating outside the box. She will be three in September, and she is a Ragdoll that (yay lost the weight!) is 12 pounds, if that is relevant.

The earliest vet appointment I could get was last Friday, about 4 days after this started. The vet said her bladder was so small he couldn’t even feel it, and that she most likely had a urinary infection, as I had suspected she might. He gave me a liquid medication to give her twice a day, and he also gave her some fluids shots so that she’d need to pee.

Friday night I got a urine sample from her (I had to wait about 12 hours for it) and I put it in the fridge and brought it in on Saturday morning. Today is Tuesday and I have not heard anything back from the vet as of yet.

My cat is terrible about taking the medicine. It takes two people to give it to her, she screams the whole time, and even though we shoot it down her throat she has an amazing ability to spit it back out. I have even started holding her mouth shut after giving it to her to force her to keep it down.

As of today she is still peeing outside of her box, and there are only two more doses of the medicine left. I am planning to call the vet today after work to get her another appointment.

I was wondering if any of you knew if there was a medication shot they could give her for this, since I am not sure exactly how much of the medicine she has been keeping down. Also, could there be another problem my vet did not look for?

As I had mentioned in a previous post, I was not satisfied with the vet I used about a month ago, so this is another new vet I haven’t had before. I love my cat like a child and I want to make sure she is getting good medical care and that they are looking for the right things.

Any opinions would be helpful and appreciated! :-)

I am no vet, but have had cats pretty much all of my life. Cats are very clean animals, and when they start going outside the box, something is definitely up! First thing to check is the obvious- is the litter clean? Even if its remotely dirty sometimes cats will just start being picky. If it is, the next bet is a urinary infection, or blockage(they get these kind crystal like things in there urinary tract that get stuck- it comes from eating certain hard food- some cats are succeptible, some are not,). I had two cats that died from the blockage, as there is not a lot they can do other than surgery, and as much as I loved my cats, it seemed wrong to put out that much money when there was no guarantee of full recovery.
  • Jul 13, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Wondergirl
    Also, have you changed something recently? -- litter brand or type, food, or even placement of food dishes or litter box? Is there something new in the house? - new furniture or furniture has been rearranged, new pet, new person, new vacuum cleaner? Cats HATE change, and any tiny thing can set them off.

Closing her mouth and stroking her throat from chin to chest helps her swallow.

What will be done about her small bladder, or will you go through this same thing every now and then for the rest of her life?