Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Heating & Air Conditioning (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Upgrading thermostat (Hunter) w/gas furnace (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=167334)

• Dec 31, 2007, 09:44 AM
    amejk
    Upgrading thermostat (Hunter) w/gas furnace
    Friends,

I can find plenty on how to hook up a new thermostat with a heat pump, but not for a gas furnace/electric a/c (Carrier).

My old thermostat has:

R = Red
    Y/Y2 = Yellow
    G = Green
    C = Black
    W/W1 = White

Blue, Brown and Orange are not used

Now with that in mind, my Hunter has the following letters

G
    Rc
    Rc1
    Rh
    Y/O
    W/B
    Y1

What = What?

Did I get the wrong thermostat?

Thanks,
    Eric
  • Dec 31, 2007, 10:39 AM
    KISS
    Provide a model # of the stat or a link. Hunter manuals are here:

New Page 1

Looking at the manual for the 44668 or 44660. These are combo conventional/HP stats. The system selector needs to be in the right place. Don't know if it's your model.

Rc, Rc1 and Rh get jumpered and become R
    (Rc and Rh accommodates separate transformers for heat and cool)
    Y1 doesn't get connected
  • Dec 31, 2007, 02:28 PM
    amejk
    KISS,

Yes, it is the 44660. So RC1 and RH together = R? What about the Black Wire (that was C)?

Thanks,
    Eric

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Provide a model # of the stat or a link. Hunter manuals are here:

New Page 1

Looking at the manual for the 44668 or 44660. These are combo conventional/HP stats. The system selector needs to be in the right place. Don't know if it's your model.

Rc, Rc1 and Rh get jumpered and become R
    (Rc and Rh accomodates separate transformers for heat and cool)
    Y1 doesn't get connected

• Dec 31, 2007, 05:09 PM
    ballengerb1
    Yep KISS gave you some good directions. Jumpering the two reds into one unless you have two transformers and most do not. C is transformer common.
  • Dec 31, 2007, 05:15 PM
    amejk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Yep KISS gave you some good directions. Jumpering the two reds into one unless you have two transformers and most do not. C is transformer common.

?? No where in the Instructions/Diagrams does it show where common goes. THis model does use batteries for power, is it not used?
  • Dec 31, 2007, 07:01 PM
    KISS
    Rc gets jumped to Rc1 which gets jumped to Rh. The triple becomes R.

The new thermostat can be "power stealing" and therefore "C" is not required. If it uses batteries for power, then "C" is not required. Personally, I couldn't be bothered with batteries. Better yet, find a better stat. Look at Home | iaqsource.com - Aprilaire, Honeywell, Trion Air Bear, Bryant, Carrier, Trane Filters and IAQ products for some options.

Between R and C is 24 VAC at all times. Just mark black as "C" and cap with a small wirenut.
  • Jan 1, 2008, 10:06 AM
    amejk
    K.I.S.S.

Thanks so much!

Eric

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Rc gets jumped to Rc1 which gets jumped to Rh. The triple becomes R.

The new thermostat can be "power stealing" and therefore "C" is not required. If it uses batteries for power, then "C" is not required. Personally, I couldn't be bothered with batteries. Better yet, find a better stat. Look at Home | iaqsource.com - Aprilaire, Honeywell, Trion Air Bear, Bryant, Carrier, Trane Filters and IAQ products for some options.

Between R and C is 24 VAC at all times. Just mark black as "C" and cap with a small wirenut.