Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Subjects (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406)
-   -   Health and social care (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=446574)

• Feb 13, 2010, 09:06 AM
    Nargis786
    health and social care
    describe the values that underpin social care practice..

I am stuck on this question... so far I'v got what's written below but I'm not sure if its correct. Can anyone help.

Values are given as ‘a belief that something is good and desirable. It defines what is important, worthwhile and worth striving for’. (Thomas and Pierson 1996)
    Values can be political, social, cultural, spiritual and moral. The way an individual expresses their values can be a very individual experience. For example:
     we may value the importance of family – these are moral and cultural beliefs
     Some people are close to their friends than family which could be described as social values.
     We may highly regard the importance of freedom of speech – political values
     For some, attending their place of worship and acknowledging religious festivals is important – spiritual values
    Values are involved in the role of care and support. Activities undertaken in care and support are influenced by views of people in society and expectations of how care should be provided. The values of the society we live in influence our thinking, our action and policy and legislation.
    Another aspect to consider is that each of us have our own beliefs, views and values which come from a variety of perspective and are influenced by each individual’s experience. Our race, cultural background, family history and gender all play a part in how we view the world and each situation.

Below is a list of values that are commonly supposed to underpin good care practice:
     Privacy
     Individuality and identity
     Independence
     Respect
     Rights
     Choice
     Dignity
     Partnership

Care Value Base
    The Care Value Base is a framework which encourages and promotes good working practices in health and social care. It aims to help both service users and providers of health and social care by giving clear guidelines of acceptable or unacceptable practices and behaviours.
    The Care Value Base is divided into three main areas which are:
     To be aware of and acknowledge people’s rights and responsibilities
     To promote equality and diversity of individuals
     To maintain confidentiality.
    Also the seven Care Value Base principles are:
     Promoting anti-discriminatory practice
     Maintaining confidentiality of information
     Promoting and supporting individual’s rights to dignity, independence and safety
     Acknowledging people’s personal beliefs and identities
     Protecting individuals from abuse
     Providing effective communication and relationships
     Providing individual care
    All health and social care workers must consider the Care Value Base in every aspect of their work and employers have the responsibility to make sure that all their staff uphold the Care Value Base which means providing them with information and training.
    For staff, provider and users of social care to apply the Care Value Base, employers have codes of practice and work-based policies. Codes of practice are used to guide practitioners on how to behave in the workplace. This ensures that members of staff are aware of the standards of behaviour that are expected, they identify ethical principles on which core values and practices are based. Codes of conduct are produced to describe the basic rights of service users, they emphasise the need for respect of individuals and they stress the importance of confidentiality.

Sometimes in workplaces the staffs believe that as long as they don’t intentionally behave in appropriately towards someone then it is a good practice. However, if don’t workers stop and think about values and assumptions that some may take for granted, then this could easily offend others without even realising it. For example, asking someone who is Jewish or Muslim ‘Can you tell me your Christian name?’. This is why it is important to be aware of own influences and to keep in mind that everyone won’t always share similar beliefs and see things the same way.

The Care Standards Act 2000 provided a review of standards within the care sector that were based on care values. The practice of an organisation will need to consider and use these values. Some organisations will make sure potential users of their service are clear about what they should expect, while other organisations may not have this as clear for staff and service users to understand.
    How to promote values in the workplace
    There are some areas of care practice where workers need to acquire new knowledge to work more effectively with people. Values are an area that underpins all care practice and it is important for workers to consider where they are professionally in terms of their own understanding of these values.
    The Care Standards Act 2000 provided the necessary legislation for some values to become more formalised and developed as a requirement of care providers.
    As a care worker, it is important to keep up-to-date with government guidance and policies. Some policies provide a good indication of what values are important within the care sector. An example of this is the White Paper relating to learning disability; there are four key principles at the heart of the government’s proposals in valuing people: A New Strategy for Learning Disability for the 21st Century [Department of Health (2001)]:
    1. Legal and civil rights
    2. Independence
    3. Choice
    4. Inclusion.

(Frances Sussex, 2008) If a care worker is working with learning disabled service users, this policy will have an impact on any changes there are made in the organisation. The Sector Skill Council for Social Care, TOPSS (The Training Organisation for the Personal Social Services), which has a role in developing the care workforce, has produced a set of standards [TOPSS (2001)] that state a range of values that should underpin the work of all care employees:

1.1 The values
    1.1.1 Understand the importance of promoting the following values at all times:
     Choice
     Independence
     Respect
     Rights
     Privacy
     Dignity
     Partnership

1.1.2 Understand the meaning of prejudice and equal opportunities in relation to the service users they will be supporting.

The last statement in the list refers to the important area of equality. Professionals need to be clear about whether they are focusing on equality in the provision of care services, or equality of individuals in their experience of health and social well-being.

Why values are important in care work:

The term diversity ranges of individuals with a variety of races, abilities, religions and cultures, etc.

Culture – culture can be acquired through family and local community influences. Origins of culture may be connected to religious beliefs, place of birth, family practices, etc.
    It is important for care workers not to underestimate the influence of culture on the lives of individuals and to take the lead from individual clients about how important certain customs and practices are. An example is where a dominant value in care practice is informing the client everything that is happening to them and engaging them in decision making. Some cultures do not value this process, preferring to involve the family in decision-making, especially around death.
  • Feb 13, 2010, 09:17 AM
    Wondergirl

What is the actual assignment? How long is this supposed to be?
  • Feb 13, 2010, 09:47 AM
    Nargis786

I just need to answer the question above I already gave and it there is no limit to how long it actually has to be. I was just wondering if there's anything else I need to add to what I have already got
  • Feb 13, 2010, 09:54 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nargis786 View Post
    i just need to answer the question above i already gave and it there is no limit to how long it actually has to be. i was just wondering if theres anything else i need to add to what i have already got

Did you follow an outline? The first part seems to go around and around without saying much, and most of it appears to be copy and paste with no organization. I'm in that field and am not sure what you are trying to say. None of the specific points are elaborated on.

***ADDED*** You start with "Values can be political, social, cultural, spiritual and moral." After that, write details about each one of those points. How can values be political and what does that have to do with social and health care? How can values be social, and what does have to do with social and health care? etc.
  • Feb 13, 2010, 10:01 AM
    redhed35
    can you give the wording of the assignment also.

if the assigment is on social care I would start with the values of social care as you have written :indepence,citizenship,empowerment,social inclusion.

do you have different headings to describe...

take note of the actual wording, discuss,describe,explore, will have all different implications regarding your assigment.
  • Nov 14, 2010, 05:57 AM
    lizzy2mellow
    Hi I am doing my HNC in Social Care at the moment. I am trying to identify the book you have used by Thomas and Pierson 1996
    As it sounds like one I need. Is it the Collins Educational Directory of Social Work?
    I would really appreciate your help.
    Cheers Lizzy
  • Nov 15, 2010, 01:44 PM
    TUT317
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nargis786 View Post
    describe the values that underpin social care practice....?

I am stuck on this question...so far i'v got whats written below but im not sure if its correct. can anyone help.

Values are given as ‘a belief that something is good and desirable. It defines what is important, worthwhile and worth striving for’. (Thomas and Pierson 1996)
    Values can be political, social, cultural, spiritual and moral. The way an individual expresses their values can be a very individual experience. For example:
     we may value the importance of family – these are moral and cultural beliefs
     Some people are close to their friends than family which could be described as social values.
     We may highly regard the importance of freedom of speech – political values
     For some, attending their place of worship and acknowledging religious festivals is important – spiritual values
    Values are involved in the role of care and support. Activities undertaken in care and support are influenced by views of people in society and expectations of how care should be provided. The values of the society we live in influence our thinking, our action and policy and legislation.
    Another aspect to consider is that each of us have our own beliefs, views and values which come from a variety of perspective and are influenced by each individual’s experience. Our race, cultural background, family history and gender all play a part in how we view the world and each situation.

Below is a list of values that are commonly supposed to underpin good care practice:
     Privacy
     Independence
     Respect
     Rights
     Choice
     Dignity
     Partnership

Care Value Base
    The Care Value Base is a framework which encourages and promotes good working practices in health and social care. It aims to help both service users and providers of health and social care by giving clear guidelines of acceptable or unacceptable practices and behaviours.
    The Care Value Base is divided into three main areas which are:
     To be aware of and acknowledge people’s rights and responsibilities
     To promote equality and diversity of individuals
     To maintain confidentiality.
    Also the seven Care Value Base principles are:
     Promoting anti-discriminatory practice
     Maintaining confidentiality of information
     Promoting and supporting individual’s rights to dignity, independence and safety
     Acknowledging people’s personal beliefs and identities
     Protecting individuals from abuse
     Providing effective communication and relationships
     Providing individual care
    All health and social care workers must consider the Care Value Base in every aspect of their work and employers have the responsibility to make sure that all their staff uphold the Care Value Base which means providing them with information and training.
    For staff, provider and users of social care to apply the Care Value Base, employers have codes of practice and work-based policies. Codes of practice are used to guide practitioners on how to behave in the workplace. This ensures that members of staff are aware of the standards of behaviour that are expected, they identify ethical principles on which core values and practices are based. Codes of conduct are produced to describe the basic rights of service users, they emphasise the need for respect of individuals and they stress the importance of confidentiality.

Sometimes in workplaces the staffs believe that as long as they don’t intentionally behave in appropriately towards someone then it is a good practice. However, if don’t workers stop and think about values and assumptions that some may take for granted, then this could easily offend others without even realising it. For example, asking someone who is Jewish or Muslim ‘Can you tell me your Christian name?’. This is why it is important to be aware of own influences and to keep in mind that everyone won’t always share similar beliefs and see things the same way.

The Care Standards Act 2000 provided a review of standards within the care sector that were based on care values. The practice of an organisation will need to consider and use these values. Some organisations will make sure potential users of their service are clear about what they should expect, while other organisations may not have this as clear for staff and service users to understand.
    How to promote values in the workplace
    There are some areas of care practice where workers need to acquire new knowledge to work more effectively with people. Values are an area that underpins all care practice and it is important for workers to consider where they are professionally in terms of their own understanding of these values.
    The Care Standards Act 2000 provided the necessary legislation for some values to become more formalised and developed as a requirement of care providers.
    As a care worker, it is important to keep up-to-date with government guidance and policies. Some policies provide a good indication of what values are important within the care sector. An example of this is the White Paper relating to learning disability; there are four key principles at the heart of the government’s proposals in valuing people: A New Strategy for Learning Disability for the 21st Century [Department of Health (2001)]:
    1. Legal and civil rights
    2. Independence
    3. Choice
    4. Inclusion.

(Frances Sussex, 2008) If a care worker is working with learning disabled service users, this policy will have an impact on any changes there are made in the organisation. The Sector Skill Council for Social Care, TOPSS (The Training Organisation for the Personal Social Services), which has a role in developing the care workforce, has produced a set of standards [TOPSS (2001)] that state a range of values that should underpin the work of all care employees:

1.1 The values
    1.1.1 Understand the importance of promoting the following values at all times:
     Choice
     Independence
     Respect
     Rights
     Privacy
     Dignity
     Partnership

1.1.2 Understand the meaning of prejudice and equal opportunities in relation to the service users they will be supporting.

The last statement in the list refers to the important area of equality. Professionals need to be clear about whether they are focusing on equality in the provision of care services, or equality of individuals in their experience of health and social well-being.

Why values are important in care work:

The term diversity ranges of individuals with a variety of races, abilities, religions and cultures, etc.

Culture – culture can be acquired through family and local community influences. Origins of culture may be connected to religious beliefs, place of birth, family practices, etc.
    It is important for care workers not to underestimate the influence of culture on the lives of individuals and to take the lead from individual clients about how important certain customs and practices are. An example is where a dominant value in care practice is informing the client everything that is happening to them and engaging them in decision making. Some cultures do not value this process, preferring to involve the family in decision-making, especially around death.

The comments made so far by Wondergirl and others are correct.

If you are attempting to answer a question then your essay needs STRUCTURE. What you have presented seems to be a variety of social values but you need to isolate the values relevant to the health care industry.

Firstly, you need an introduction. State exactly what you are going to argue in your introduction. For example, the values relevant to the health care industry are, respect, rights, etc, etc ( if these are the values you are going to choose). Also state in your introduction why these values are relevant.

An essay should also contain the main part or a body. You need to treat each value listed in the introduction in turn. You need to expand on such things as, 'respect', 'rights'. Say why these things are relevant to the health care industry.

DO NOT TALK ABOUT ISSUES NOT COVERED IN YOUR INTRODUCTION.
    In other words, don't go off on a tangent.

You will need a conclusion. We might be able to help with that as well.

Remember the three most important things when it comes to essay writing. STRUCTURE, STRUCTURE AND STRUCTURE.

Good luck with it

Tut
  • Mar 19, 2012, 05:21 AM
    mowusu
    evaluate how social,political and moral values of practitioner impact on the service provided.