Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Mental & Emotional Health (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Crazy dream (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=79059)

• Apr 4, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Ginger Snap
    Crazy dream
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I have a question with dream interpretation.

My dad died ten years ago and in all these years I have had very few dreams about him. In only two of those dreams has he actually spoken to me and both times we were in a car and he spoke with me through a rear view mirror. And in both those cases he never looked at me directly.

This past dream last night I was driving in a car with the rest of my family. My sister was asleep and my mom was in the front seat. My dad was driving and we were out taking what was supposed to be a leisurely drive. While driving I made a suggestion that we stop off somewhere because it was in the direction we were driving. After I made my suggestion my dad rolled his eyes and seemed to get all bothered so I asked him, "Why are you rolling your eyes and getting all judgy." He got all hot and bothered and starting yelling at me through the rearview mirror that we were just out taking a leisurely drive and that we couldn't stop and the tone was almost like he was saying how dare I suggest we do something different.

After that I just sat in the back seat and felt really awful and sort of trapped and misunderstood. Everyone else was silent, my mom didn't speak up, my sister was still sleeping and I felt misunderstood because what I was suggesting I thought would be a great idea. I just wanted to offer something that would be positive for everyone.

After that I remember driving in the car silently and looking out the window. There were all these colorful cruise ships on a river that was next to the road that we were driving on and I remember wanting to be out of the car.

I know this probably sounds strange but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the meaning. I find the fact that the only two times I have had communication with my father in my dreams has been he talking to me through a rearview mirror of a car while he is driving and I am in the backseat. Also, I have worked through a lot of issues over the years regarding my father and myself esteem. While I feel I have made tremendous strides in this, I feel that this dream may represent something still in my subconscious or something I am ready to let go of. The fact that I couldn't get out of the car and that my mother sat silently by and my sister slept through it I thought was particularly interesting. Also, I have been reading a lot about financial freedom and emotional issues around money lately and my family went through a lot of financial hardship in my past that was brought on by my dad's choices. So I thought it was ironic that I would have this dream.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    G
  • Apr 14, 2007, 11:33 AM
    BlakeCory
    In the dream you were separated from you father physically and emotionally. Maybe that reflects your real relationship with him before he died. In the dream you wanted thing to be different, better, and no one seemed to support you. You felt misunderstood (what kid doesn't?) and wanted to get away.

Don't put too much energy into dreams. It's like chasing the wind. You know something is there but you always leave empty handed.
  • Oct 7, 2007, 06:23 PM
    SOL in Virginia
    Go to glamour magazine website. They help you interpret dreams. It seems to hit home for me & a friend who told me about it.
  • Oct 14, 2012, 09:58 PM
    decarlo123
    The part about you being in the backseat represents you not having control he had the control. Which is how it is when yyour a child. YOur mom not saying anything is probably what she did when he was alive. You were waiting for her to intervene an she never did probably because she didn't want any friction with him. It sounds like he was very critical was he. The colorful ship's you saw represents opportunities that you have but you feel trapped to take them. Him speaking in to the rear view mirror represents the past what do you see when you look in to a rearview mirror you see what your leaving behind. It sounds like you want your fathers approval for choices you make. He may have constantly made you feel like your ideas were ridiculous. He wanted to be the one to make all the decisions. If that's the case he's no longer here to do so. Forgive him, and try not to make any one else feel the way you felt when you tried to voice your opinion. I think your sister sleeping represent her not really understanding what was going on. Your dream makes sense to me