Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Windows (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Bug in Windows 10? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=815673)

• Aug 29, 2015, 03:30 AM
    joypulv
    Bug in Windows 10?
    I have a Dell 2-in-1 (both tablet with touch screen, and monitor with keyboard and mouse) and about once a week or so either touch ability or the mouse stops working, and I have to restart.
    However, with Win 10, restart hangs in a grey screen indefinitely, and hitting the start button has no effect, and I have to unplug and plug back in.
    This has happened every time. About 4 times since I installed Win 10.

Is anyone familiar with this?
    Any idea if this is specific to the Dell 2-in-1?
    Is it worth reporting as a bug?
    How do I do so?
  • Aug 29, 2015, 03:35 AM
    Curlyben
    Unfortunate issue when upgrading rather than a fresh install..

Have you made sure that all your drivers have been upgraded ?
    Check the Dell website for specific drivers for your model.
  • Aug 29, 2015, 05:26 AM
    joypulv
    The Dell site says that if I had 8.1, there is no need for new drivers. I had 8.1 (it came with the Dell).
    On the other hand, a commercial site ran a scan and said I needed a new driver ($30). Wonder why I should believe that?

I could go back to Dell and re-install the 8.1 driver, but would rather avoid more problems, so won't.
    Anyway, thanks.
  • Aug 29, 2015, 05:56 AM
    Curlyben
    Go for the driver re-install, it's not going to do any harm.

As for these driver scan programs, they are mostly vapourware...
  • Aug 29, 2015, 07:51 AM
    joypulv
    OK, later, when I have enough ice cream in my freezer.
  • Aug 29, 2015, 07:53 AM
    Curlyben
    How often do you reboot your system ?
  • Aug 29, 2015, 10:17 AM
    joypulv
    Whenever something freezes or doesn't respond, like touch or mouse. Twice a week at most, maybe average once every 7-9 days.
  • Aug 29, 2015, 10:20 AM
    Curlyben
    That could be part of the problem, especially with a brand new OS..
    Try a weekly reboot, say Sat night, and see if that helps.
  • Aug 29, 2015, 02:27 PM
    Catsmine
    Avast Anti-virus freeware has a boot scan option, so you can do most of your maintenance all at once: Reboot, install updates, virus scan, all of it.
  • Aug 30, 2015, 06:09 AM
    cdad
    You may want to check your settings. Some systems to save energy are set to go to sleep even on a live screen. If this is happening then just change the effected systems settings.
  • Aug 30, 2015, 06:24 AM
    joypulv
    My sleep setting is longer than it takes to reboot.
    At 3:15 am I woke up and the screen was the Dell logo and dots turning, as though installing something. I waited 50 minutes before pulling the plug.
  • Aug 30, 2015, 01:21 PM
    cdad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    My sleep setting is longer than it takes to reboot.
    At 3:15 am I woke up and the screen was the Dell logo and dots turning, as though installing something. I waited 50 minutes before pulling the plug.

Ouch ! If it was installing updates of some kind then it is a big no no to turn it off while in process. That can be part of the problem. If drivers didnt get installed correctly.