Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Hearing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Pain and muffling in both ears (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=786483)

• Mar 10, 2014, 12:55 PM
    Jedswanscott
    Pain and muffling in both ears
    Hey guys,

I'm a 15 year old kid, also huge on music, but I've been having this problem that's causing me problems in everyday life. A few days ago, I had a serious pain in my left ear, I thought this was just an ear ache, but this felt worse. It was excruciating pain, and I couldn't sleep because of it. The next morning, my hearing was slightly muffled in that ear, I thought it was going to clear up, but it hasn't, if anything it's gotten worse. I can hardly hear during conversations, but my right ear was still working fine.

Only until recently (a few hours ago) my right ear has started to hurt from the inside, and I fear that it will get worse, leading to the same muffling in my left ear. My dad did put some ear drops into my ear, thinking that it was just trapped water, but it hasn't changed anything. I am hoping to see a doctor soon, but this is really bothering me and I don't know what I can do to help myself.

Please can can I have a quick answer, I'm desperate.

Thanks
  • Mar 10, 2014, 01:02 PM
    CravenMorhead
    If I had to guess, and note that it is just a guess, I would say that it is an ear infection of some variety or a sinus infection that is congesting your hearing. There are urgent care or walk in clinics you can go to, but I would go as quickly as you can.
  • Mar 10, 2014, 01:12 PM
    Jedswanscott
    Thanks for the answer,

Would your answer change if I said that I've been having really bad headaches? I don't know if this is related or not but it may be a principle. Plus the pain has increased dramatically recently and I'm very concerned.

Thanks
  • Mar 10, 2014, 02:35 PM
    joypulv
    Your dad needs to get you to an ER (something I rarely suggest). He should have taken you to a doctor or clinic today, but now it's too late.

There are many kinds of earaches and headaches. The least serious condition I can think of is virus sinus congestion that runs it's course, and second is a sinus infection that is bacterial. That would take antibiotics.

There is also something called mastoiditis. Teeth can cause ear pain. The list goes on. Tell your father that it really is excruciating. It can cost more the longer he waits.

It's not related to going deaf from high decibels.
  • Mar 10, 2014, 04:07 PM
    dontknownuthin
    It is probably an ear or sinus infection. You need to go to a doctor because you probably need antibiotics. Your symptoms are the exact symptoms of an ear infection. It won't go away without antibiotics. It hurts more when you try to sleep because there is probably fluid behind your eardrum (dad's ear drops are pointless) that shifts when you lay down, creating painful pressure.