Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Art (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Drawing and Shading portraits (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=140821)

• Oct 15, 2007, 05:33 AM
    erlobenauer
    Drawing and Shading portraits
    Ok - so I started drawing at 13, never took an art class in my life. I just started again, its probably been around 5 years since I've drawn anything. I'm OK , I mean drawing comes natural to me, but I can't seem to figure out the correct way to shade when drawing a portrait - can anyone help me on this please?
  • Oct 15, 2007, 07:00 AM
    firmbeliever
    How to use drawing techniques - crosshatching, shading with pencil and pen. Portrait-artist.org
    Example Shading Techniques

Try these links.
  • Oct 31, 2007, 12:48 AM
    jrebel7
    Hi there!
    I ran across your post while browsing this early morning - 2:42! I enjoyed FB's links.

This may not have anything to do with answering your question but something I did not see in the links was the importance of the source of light. In any drawing, you might locate the light source and see where the shadows are cast the strongest. Just an idea!

I have had one kind of teaching that says there should never be any white of the paper showing, that is, use the pencil or whatever medium and cover all parts of the drawing with some of the medium. This seems to give it more substance. The other teaching, as in watercolor is to use the white of the paper to work for you. I have done both and do both, depending on the piece.
  • Oct 31, 2007, 01:01 AM
    firmbeliever
    Shading Tutorial - Understanding the Art of Shading

Jan,
    Is this link what you mean?
  • Oct 31, 2007, 01:07 AM
    jrebel7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by firmbeliever

I had just viewed the links in your earlier post. I just viewed the Shading Tutorial. That was amazing! That is exactly what I was referring to. Thank you FB for having that link available. I will reread that. I try to continue to improve my style of pencil drawing.
  • Oct 31, 2007, 01:32 AM
    jrebel7
    Family Themes - Pencil Drawing Gallery

This is a link to one of my favorite artists! His technicque is much softer than mine. Erica, you have a soft touch with pencils. I imagine you would enjoy viewing this artists work. FB and Erica, let me know what you think of his work.
  • Oct 31, 2007, 02:14 AM
    firmbeliever
    I loved the Grandma's tea party work, the wrinkles on the old hand and the chubbiness of the little hands.Beautiful!
    Thanks Jan for the link.
  • Nov 10, 2007, 08:44 PM
    dclarke10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by erlobenauer
    Ok - so I started drawing at 13, never took an art class in my life. I just started again, its probably been around 5 years since I've drawn anything. I'm OK , I mean drawing comes natural to me, but I can't seem to figure out the correct way to shade when drawing a portrait - can anyone help me on this please?!

I don't know