Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Foul smell coming from the tub (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=241833)

• Jul 26, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Grapefruit02478
    Foul smell coming from the tub
    While I am here, I might as well ask another silly question that has been bothering me. From time to time when I flush the toilet or run the water in the sink of the bathroom, I will hear a gurgle sound in the tub and then there is an odor of sulfur or rotten eggs coming from the drain. I have never experienced this in any other place except for this one... and it is a 2 family where I am in the second floor unit. What causes this and how can it be remedied?
  • Jul 26, 2008, 08:05 AM
    N0help4u
    When that happens I put about a cup of baking soda in each drain and pour some vinegar in then follow that with a big container of boiling water. If it still smells later I pour bleach down the drains. It usually works.

If any drains are backing up like they are clogged use drain cleaner as a first thing.
  • Jul 26, 2008, 08:23 AM
    speedball1
    I was with NoHelp4U until he advised.
    Quote:

If any drains are backing up like they are clogged use drain cleaner as a first thing.
    I am strongly against putting harsh chemicals in your drainage system. Most are lye based and if you get any in your eyes you could be blinded. Besides they never seem to work except in TV commercials. Here's how I address a smelly drain. Most bad smells in tubs, lavatories and showers are caused by rotting hair matted with grease from the soap and from rotting food in kitchen disposals Try this for the smell. Tonight before bedtine Take a 1/2 gallon of bleach and pour it down the drain and let set over night. Next morning ,(and this is important) flush out the drain with two large pans of boiling water to loosen the grease and flush the mess out. The bleach will make the hair slippery and began to dissolve it and the hot water will melt the grease and flush the mess away.
    This should make your drains smell better. With all chemicals used in drain cleaning proper ventilation should be observed. Good luck, Tom
  • Jul 26, 2008, 08:26 AM
    N0help4u
    I advised that last because I don't like using drain cleaners either except when there is a bad clog. And they do not seem to work that well but I don't know any other way to unclog a drain other than calling a plumber.
  • Jul 26, 2008, 08:33 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I advised that last because I don't like using drain cleaners either except when there is a bad clog. and they do not seem to work that well but I don't know any other way to unclog a drain other than calling a plumber.

I understand. The surest way to unclog a drain line is to snake it out. Snaking a drain is a simple procedure and does not require calling in a plumber.
    We can walk you through it. All you hafta do is ask. Good luck, Tom
  • Jul 26, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Grapefruit02478
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball1
    I understand. The surest way to unclog a drain line is to snake it out. Snaking a drain is a simple procedure and does not require calling in a plumber.
    We can walk you through it. All ya hafta do is ask. Good luck, Tom

What tools do I need to do it? How do I do it? Can you walk me through the steps? I will try to do it myself otherwise I will need to ask my boyfriend when he comes home from work as he is more handy than I am at doing these kinds of things.
  • Jul 26, 2008, 11:10 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

What tools do I need to do it? How do I do it? Can you walk me through the steps? I will try to do it myself otherwise I will need to ask my boyfriend when he comes home from work as he is more handy than I am at doing these kinds of things.
    You will need a hand held drain snake to do this job. Snaking a drain is a dirty nasty job best left to us dirty nasty males. To snake the tub drain you'll have to go down the tub waste and overflow. Let's wait until the BF comes hoime and hang him with the job. Sound like a plan? Regards, Tom