Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cars & Trucks (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Brake lights on ford explorer (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=31043)

• Aug 6, 2006, 09:33 PM
    mickeyrory
    Brake lights on ford explorer
    My brake lights on my Explorer are out. The problem is not the bulbs. What should I be looking for that would cause this problem? Appreciate any help.

Mickey
  • Aug 7, 2006, 08:08 AM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    First, check passenger compartment (under dash) and power distribution box (under hood) fuses. A Haynes manual might allow you to know if there's anything else on the brake light circuit that could cause a problem. Learn to use a DMM (or test light) to check fuses quickly and accurately, without running the risk of replacing one in the wrong slot. Second, look for any corrosion in the sockets (disconnect negative. Battery terminal before cleaning). Best to use silicone dielectric grease on base of bulbs to prevent problems. Third, use DMM or test light to probe connector and see if power is flowing, as someone else pushes the brake pedal. Fourth, check circuit out by following it backwards to the battery. Fifth, most Fords have a brake light switch on the brake pedal arm under the dash. Run a continuity check on it and see if it needs replacing or adjusting.
  • Oct 25, 2010, 10:17 AM
    FORD95
    My 95 ford exployer break lights are out and the problem is not the bulds. I took it to northpoint ford saturday and i did not get an answer. They change the bulbs thye think it may be anything. i'm no mechanic and i know that. i'm just look for some sort of help. I also received a ticket yesterday due to my break lights. Any help please let me know 414-460-0099 renee i only have 10 days to comply with getting them fixed
  • Mar 23, 2012, 11:59 PM
    chadrs34
    97 explorer

I have had problems with mine for 2 years first tried bulbs then relay then then brake light switch and what worked for a day was the turn signal switch but then nothing took it to ford they said they would have to do a complete wire search that it would cost me anywhere from 200 to a grand, I then took it to a mechanic friend and after following the wires back therse a huge relay on the drivers side right after the tire jack no power all the way up to there then after that under the back seats checked them all and had power so we went back to before the relay and connected the brake light wire to right turn signal wire I have brake lights but when you turn your right blinker on both flash trying to fix that now the big relay is 600 only have found it from ford let me know if anyone can find me one thanks chad
  • Apr 5, 2013, 05:59 AM
    wrhudlow
    My 94 Explorer brake lights are not working. The turn sigal and the running lights all work.The middle brake light works but the right and left don't. I check bulbs and fuses. What wrong
  • Apr 5, 2013, 07:33 AM
    Stratmando
    May still be a fuse, if not, problem may be in the Signal Head.(turn signal switch)