Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dentistry (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Home remedies for tooth ache pain? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=280244)

• Nov 12, 2008, 04:56 PM
    TQ79
    Home remedies for tooth ache pain?
    I'm wondering if they're any little tricks that can be used to help ease the pain associated with a tooth ache. I have been to see a dentist this past Monday (Nov 10th) and was prescribed an antibiotic for the infection around my right upper wisdom tooth. I have many more appointments to go to to correct my little dental problems before Christmas time. Including replacing old fillings and having a deep root something cleaning, I think they called it scaling I'm not entirely sure what that procedure was called. A date was even set to having oral surgery to remove said wisdom teeth. However the only thing the dentist suggested for pain was Tylenol during the whole process of waiting between appointments.

Prior to seeing the dentist I had been alternating taking Tylenol and Motrin or Advil, and they just don't seem to be doing much for the pain anymore. Cold packs make it worst and keeping a hot water bottle strapped to my head isn't an option, as I work in an office setting and must greet clients all day, with all my upcoming appointments I can't afford more time off work due to the pain. Any little tricks or home remedies to help put the pain at bay from now till my wisdom teeth are removed would be most appreciated. :)
  • Nov 12, 2008, 05:05 PM
    tickle

There are oral pain relievers/antiseptic available from drugstores, over the counter you can try and I am offering a website that you can order direct from or find them at a pharmacy

Welcome to MedshopExpress.com
  • Nov 12, 2008, 06:38 PM
    flossie

Did you try alternating Tylenol and Advil at two hour intervals?
  • Nov 12, 2008, 07:49 PM
    TQ79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    Did you try alternating Tylenol and Advil at two hour intervals?

Yep that's what I was doing now it's only kind of dulling the pain not really relieving it.
  • Nov 12, 2008, 09:12 PM
    KISS

Dentists like Tylenol w/ Codine for dental pain for whatever reason. It does seem to work.

Anbesol Anbesol: Wyeth Consumer Healthcare is a topical anestetic that can be used in the mouth.

ST37 Amazon.com: S.T.37 Antiseptic Liquid For Oral Pain Reliever - 16 Oz: Health & Personal Care can be used as antisptic for the mouth. Finding it has been troublesome in the past, but it works wonders. You can probably special order it.

Deep root scaling. Your making me cringe.

I can tell you something that can make your dental visits less painful. A few days before start doing mouth exercises which open your mouth as far as it will go. This makes keeping your mouth open for the dental professional much easier.
  • Nov 13, 2008, 10:40 AM
    TQ79

Wow I didn't realize they made Anbesol for adults, I have a 6 yr old son I used to use that on him for when he was teething. I'll definitely have to look for some of that at our local drug store and give it a try. Thanks for the tip KeepItSimpleStupid. :)
  • Nov 13, 2008, 10:47 AM
    spitvenom

My dad always uses clove oil when he has a tooth ache he said it works. I never tried it though.
  • Nov 17, 2008, 02:24 AM
    TQ79

Thanks everyone for the advice :D I believe the antibiotics finally kicked in and it took all the swelling down and pain seems to be almost completely gone.

The Anbesol really helped to ease the pain before the antibiotics did they're job. Finally got through a day with out anything but the antibiotics, thanks again for the tips during those first rough few days.
  • Nov 24, 2008, 06:01 PM
    yogiP

Yes... always keep clove oil on hand. Works like magic.
  • Nov 25, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Amir1981

If it is pain from impacted teeth (wisdom teeth) try Ibuprofen or T3.. thats about all you can do... severe pain can be dealt with by percocet, but only if it is BAD