Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Out of state (from AZ) move with "joint custody" child? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=81888)

• Apr 12, 2007, 10:46 AM
    alysonheather
    Out of state (from AZ) move with "joint custody" child?
    I live in AZ and have joint custody of 9-year-old daughter. My ex-wife recently met someone out of state whom she plans on starting a life with, and she just informed me she plans on moving out of state with my daughter at the end of the school year. AZ law will not permit this, will it? What steps do I have to take to prevent it? Thanks.
  • Apr 16, 2007, 10:45 AM
    kmc300
    I was once in your wife's shoes, but I only wanted move out of the county and my kids dad would have them every weekend and holiday. He fought me on it and won I almost lost custody of my kids over it. He won because he told the judge he wanted to be involved in their school career. He has yet to even show up at my kids school. Point is if you fight it especially because you have joint custody and your kid is 9 you may have a good chance. Good luck.
  • Apr 16, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Matt3046
    Yes as with everything you will have to go to court. The system is stupid
    And could only be thought up by lawyers seeking to make money. I would say no she can't, but. Anyway why can't her man move to her?

Men's Rights Online - Child Custody Issues

WELCOME TO - FATHERS-4-JUSTICE(R) US

Child Custody Organization, nationwide divorce and custody information, resources for divorce and custody of your child.
  • Apr 16, 2007, 11:15 AM
    ScottGem
    If you have joint custody with court ordered visitation she needs to get the approval of the court to move. Now she may be able to get a modification of the visitation, maybe giving you the summer and one or more school breaks. But if you fight it, you can possibly prevent her moving your daughter.
  • Apr 16, 2007, 02:59 PM
    alysonheather
    Thanks for the responses & links. To answer your question as to why he can't move to her... my guess is because he doesn't want to move away from his daughter, and his ex-wife will not allow him to move out of state with her:rolleyes: ! Of course, she will never admit to that... she said he has a business established, etc. (which I learned is a pool supply & service business... what better place to move his company than AZ?? ) Additionally, since he owns homes in several states, I doubt that he "needs" to work, so I guess it boils down to where my ex-wife's priorities lie... and that is wherever she is going to be "taken care of" (unfortunately for my daughter.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt3046
    Yes as with everything you will have to go to court. The system is stupid
    and could only be thought up by lawyers seeking to make money. I would say no she can't, but. Anyway why can't her man move to her?

Men's Rights Online - Child Custody Issues

WELCOME TO - FATHERS-4-JUSTICE(R) US

Child Custody Organization, nationwide divorce and custody information, resources for divorce and custody of your child.

• Apr 16, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    There should be rules in your child custody agreement about this, You will need to file in family court to keep the children within an area that you can remain part of their life.