Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   No cold water from kitchen sink (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=7316)

• Jan 22, 2005, 08:07 PM
    twitherspoon
    No cold water from kitchen sink
    Any help is appreciated in advance.

Before I call the plumber because I'm a plumbing novice. I thought I would search the internet and see what I can find out.

For some reason today my the cold water faucet in my kitchen sink is no longer working. The hot water flows just fine, but not the cold. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but we just bought a new refrigerator the day before. The old refrigerator just had an ice maker this one has an icemaker and dispenses water. Could the fridge be taking all of the water from the pipe that use to go to the sink. Can anyone help me in solving this mystery or give me things to check first. I would really like to fix this myself than to call a plumber.

Thank you guys.

- Tony :confused:
  • Jan 23, 2005, 05:52 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by twitherspoon
    Any help is appreciated in advance.

Before I call the plumber b/c I'm a plumbing novice. I thought I would search the internet and see what I can find out.

For some reason today my the cold water faucet in my kitchen sink is no longer working. The hot water flows just fine, but not the cold. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but we just bought a new refrigerator the day before. The old refrigerator just had an ice maker this one has an icemaker and dispenses water. Could the fridge be taking all of the water from the pipe that use to go to the sink. Can anyone help me in solving this mystery or give me things to check first. I would really like to fix this myself than to call a plumber.

Thank you guys.

- Tony :confused:

Hey Tony, Good morning,

First of all, the ice maker supply is 1/8" tubing that runs only when it fills the ice cube tray or when you draw a glass of water. It's not taking water away from anything.
    Let me explain what's happened. In connecting up the new ice maker line the cold water supply to the sink was disturbed and dislodged some crud that was on the pipe walls. This crud was drawn up into your faucet where it is now blocking the inlet ports of your faucets cartridge.
    You will have to shut the water off to the faucet and open up the valve and check the inlet ports of the cartridge. Then place a pan over the open valve body to prevent splash and turn on the cold water for a minute to flush out the cold water supply line. To get more specific I will need the brand name of your valve and about how old it is. Good luck, Tom
  • Jan 23, 2005, 03:56 PM
    twitherspoon
    Speedball,
    All of a sudden this morning it started to work again. Should I still do as you say and check the cartridge?
  • Jan 23, 2005, 05:47 PM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by twitherspoon
    Speedball,
    All of a sudden this morning it started to work again. Should I still do as you say and check the cartridge?

No, the trash has eventually worked on through. However I would take the aerator off and check the screens. Glad you're all fixed up. Tom
  • Jun 19, 2012, 01:44 PM
    nuh141
    The cold water in my kitchen just quit working but the hot water is working just fine.