Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Distance Learning (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Cutting price (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=825614)

• Jun 18, 2016, 12:53 PM
    harish_barapati
    Cutting price
    Hello I have a difficulty in answering this question can any one please help me ?as soon as possible ?

Assume you are a manager at one of supermarkets in town. Supermarkets are torn between pricing high to extract buyer surplus from loyal customers and pricing low to grab price-sensitive consumers. The dilemma is compounded in the presence of competition. Cutting price may not raise profit if a competing supermarket cuts price even lower.
    A summer intern college student suggests to randomize the price discounts. Indeed, the dazzling array of “specials” in a supermarket advertisement does appear like randomized discounts.
    Please evaluate the suggestion above. Would you adopt that suggestion, and why?
  • Jun 18, 2016, 01:02 PM
    Wondergirl
    What do YOU think? As a customer, would you like that system of pricing?
  • Jun 18, 2016, 01:55 PM
    harish_barapati
    I don't think its suitable pricing . What is your openion, can you tell me in detail?
    Thank you for the reply
  • Jun 18, 2016, 02:06 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by harish_barapati View Post
    I don't think its suitable pricing . What is your openion, can you tell me in detail?
    Thank you for the reply

Go to three different chains of supermarkets and look at prices. Compare prices on certain items. (Make a spreadsheet.) Look at ads for those same supermarkets. What do you see?
  • Jun 18, 2016, 02:38 PM
    talaniman
    Quote:

Thank you for the reply

Why is it unsuitable pricing?
  • Jun 18, 2016, 07:02 PM
    harish_barapati
    I am sorry, I don't have enough knowledge so I posted the question here to get some ideas and answers
  • Jun 18, 2016, 07:17 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

I am sorry, I don't have enough knowledge so I posted the question here to get some ideas and answers

Are there grocery stores where you live?
  • Jun 18, 2016, 07:24 PM
    teacherjenn4
    Education takes work. I worked in a grocery store for 10 years and have a degree in this area. You won't learn if you get your answers from someone else. Is the issue that you are taking a class in English and you don't understand the language enough to answer these questions?
  • Jun 19, 2016, 04:27 AM
    joypulv
    I'll give you some hints. Supermarkets generally do have a lot of competition. They do have a wide variety of items. Hence, they engage in something of a game with each other, sending out spy shoppers. They also time their ads. The result is a dance of sorts - you rarely see the same items on sale at competing stores, except before big holidays. Look up 'loss leader.'
  • Jun 19, 2016, 07:57 AM
    harish_barapati
    Thank you for the hints