Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Operating Systems (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   How to install a good UNIX OS and keep Windows. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=277821)

• Nov 6, 2008, 11:49 AM
    iFire
    How to install a good UNIX OS and keep Windows.
    I want to download a bipartition UNIX operating system from a computer to a large USB flash drive. I don't have a DVD or CD to get it on an ISO image file. Can anyone give me some suggestions and tell me how I'd install it?
  • Nov 6, 2008, 11:53 AM
    NeedKarma

Lots of info here concerning Ubuntu:
    install Ubuntu from usb drive - Google Search
  • Nov 6, 2008, 12:07 PM
    iFire

And an iPod is a USB flash drive?
  • Nov 6, 2008, 12:17 PM
    NeedKarma

I'm not sure you can boot to the iPod device.

I currently dual-boot XP/Ubuntu but I have a CD drive on my laptop.
  • Nov 6, 2008, 12:18 PM
    iFire

I do too. I just don't have a disc to install it on. And you don't need the disc every time you boot to Ubuntu do you? Maybe I should just get a disc... Is it straight forward with a disc?
  • Nov 6, 2008, 12:31 PM
    NeedKarma

Very straightforward. The Ubuntu installer asks you how much space do you want to dedicate to Ubuntu then it install a boot manager (called GRUB). You can see the whole installation routine here: Installing a Dual-Boot with Windows and Ubuntu
  • Nov 6, 2008, 12:33 PM
    iFire
    Comment on NeedKarma's post
    Thanks for the great answer and help. <3
  • Nov 6, 2008, 12:33 PM
    iFire

Thank you vury much.
  • Nov 6, 2008, 12:37 PM
    NeedKarma

You're welcome, have fun!
  • Dec 15, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Kratos1963
    I had a few issues installing Ubuntu, but the people at Ubuntu's forum were both friendly and helpful.
  • Dec 17, 2008, 07:32 PM
    ITstudent2006

Ubuntu is the worst UNIX behind regular KDE! They are not supported by any manufacturers therefore a lot of drivers don't work with these two OS's. If your PC is wireless neither will recognize your Ethernet Card. Novell Suse is your best bet. It's supported and works well and is well in-depth as far as drivers and GUI apps/security.

RICK
  • Dec 18, 2008, 09:55 PM
    ITstudent2006
    What do you think wireless is? It's a wireless ethernet card man! I used that verbage in assumption when I'm talking about WiFi and then say ethernet card, the reader would ASSUME I'm still talking about WiFi. Not once did I mention cables or any other medium, and no don't tell me I'm unknowledgeable, I am just another person who disslikes a product you're in love with, that's all it is. You are an Ubuntu finatic and I am not, I gave my side of the argument in anti-conjunction format non-relative to your own, I would appreciate the respect that we represent both sides of the spectrum not just your side. No, Ubuntu still to this day; in no way is remotely close to driver support as more popular Unix's are.

For a complete list of supported Wireless Chipsets visit the webpage below:
    The devices, the drivers

Anybody reading this post will see I'm trying to give ifire info on both sides of the case, let him choose. I don't need you bashing me because I'm bashing a product you love! What kind of one-sided avice is that! And yes Ubuntu is progressive when it comes to drivers, that's because they finally realize their so far behind! Don't kid yourself man!
  • Dec 18, 2008, 09:59 PM
    ITstudent2006
    Ok, listen! Since we have a few critics. I am not saying Ubuntu is bad, I am saying there are better choices out there.

RICK
  • Dec 31, 2008, 03:50 PM
    vaz101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    Ok, listen! Since we have a few critics. I am not saying Ubuntu is bad, I am saying there are better choices out there.

RICK

Suse, ubuntu, redhat, debian,. list is really long! All are the same: Linux. Just different distributions. Debian packs upwards of 10000 packages in their distribution. Ubuntu is based on Debian. However, they only distribute a subset of Debian. Although, they additionally include some non-free packages (not in Debian) in their distribution - to the best of my understanding (I might be wrong on this part). I believe, the drivers belong to this category.

I would be partial towards Ubuntu. It has one of easiest installation for a new user. The package manager, synaptic is superior to download and install any package not on the CD. It has a very vibrant and enthusiastic community, which will surpass any one company support. So, to go for a company supported product, is just the opposite of what I would recommend to someone new to Linux. Ubuntu is more widely used by public, and also supported by some companies, including Dell, that sell computers with Ubuntu already installed.

Again, Linux is Linux. No matter which distribution. You can not go wrong with Linux.

Good luck to you.
  • Dec 31, 2008, 04:56 PM
    ITstudent2006
    They maybe all Linux but that doesn't mean they're the same! I understand what you're saying as far as Ubuntu goes, but I am not fond of it that is what my point was. Like I had argued before some like it, some don't and some are impartial. It's a personal prefernce as far as that goes. The OP didn't say he wanted Ubuntu he was asking for a good Unix and someone stated Ubuntu and I say Suse. They're both Linux true so they're core is the same for the most part but it's their user interface that attracts me to Suse and the limited wireless drivers that aren't packaged with Ubuntu. ( I could be wrong though)

You sound very knowledgeable, am I wrong about the drivers for Ubuntu being below par?
  • Jan 1, 2009, 05:06 AM
    NeedKarma
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    You sound very knowledgeable, am I wrong about the drivers for Ubuntu being below par?

Ubuntu allows the use of restricted drivers for popular video cards. The Update Manager can see the hardware, select the package and install it without the user having to do command line editing. More here.
  • Jan 1, 2009, 04:03 PM
    ITstudent2006
    What about Network Adapter Drivers? I dual-booted Ubuntu about a year ago and could not for the life of me get the driver for my WLAN Adapter. When I wanted to connect to the internet I need to hardwire straight to the router.

I guess I am just more fond of Novell Suse and I like their interface a lot more, I was quick to judge Ubuntu because my WLAN didn't work and I didn't look pas that!
  • Jan 1, 2009, 04:10 PM
    ITstudent2006
    Thanks for the link!
  • Mar 4, 2011, 09:03 PM
    rhowel
    How to install unix operating system ?
  • Apr 15, 2011, 06:14 PM
    danny0085
    Here is a video tutorial to how install linux ubuntu