Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=210664)

• Apr 28, 2008, 09:26 PM
    cryxk11
    Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent
    Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?
  • Apr 29, 2008, 05:53 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cryxk11
    Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?

This can blow up in your face - those "side pocket" arrangements often do.

I would go back to Court and get it in writing.
  • Apr 29, 2008, 06:06 AM
    ScottGem
    If you want to IF it can be done, the answer is yes. If you want to know WHETHER it should be done, the answer is no. As Judy said, it could come back to haunt, especially for the non custodial parent.
  • Apr 29, 2008, 04:16 PM
    cryxk11
    Custodial Parent sings custody of minor over to non custodal parent
    If the custodial parent wants to sign custody of a minor child over to the non custodial parent will the custodial parents consent be enough to get the final papers processed, or will the judge review both parents and make the decision. If the judge reviews the case and decides what factors will he take into consideration? Thank you
  • Apr 29, 2008, 04:52 PM
    cryxk11
    Custodial parent and non custodial parent
    If the non custodial parent lost custody 6 years ago and has a court order stating they will have supervised visits with the child, can the custodial parent allow the minor child to live with the non custodial parent with out going through the court system? Both the custodial parent and non custodial parent agree 100% The custodial parent & the non custodial parent have even lived together since the court order 6 years ago (they are currently not together, the custodial parent need to take a night shift job and wants the child to move in with the non custodial parent).
  • Apr 29, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    The judge has to sign the order, also depending on the age of the child, they will want to hear what the child has to say.
  • Apr 29, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Can they, most likely, could the custodial parent latter decide to file some complaint? A person does not get supervised visit order unless there is some issue about his parenting.

They need to go back to court and get a new order, if I was the non custodial parent I wouild demand it,
  • Apr 29, 2008, 05:16 PM
    ScottGem
    Please don't start new threads for basically the same question. I've merged your three threads together.

If both parents agree and the situation doesn't present a danger or other problem for the child, the court will most likely agree to it. As I mentioned before, you can do this outside the courts, but doing so is a minefield. If everyone is in agreement just ask the court for help in filing a petition.
  • Apr 29, 2008, 05:39 PM
    cdad
    The answer is yes. You can agree on anything but if it doesn't pass through the courts the NCP can still owe child support even if the child is living with them. Also unless its legal and binding the custodial parent can come take the child away at any time because the courts say so. Bottom line is its great to agree but you still need it in writing from the courts. Get a lawyer.