Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cooking (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Maids of honour cakes (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=804831)

• Nov 19, 2014, 04:09 PM
    Ray Morris
    Maids of honour cakes
    Can you freeze maid of honour cakes?
  • Nov 20, 2014, 08:30 AM
    CravenMorhead
    Why wouldn't you be able to?
  • Feb 3, 2015, 05:08 AM
    edenben15
    No.. in my point of view it should not be.
  • Feb 3, 2015, 12:39 PM
    tickle
    'Maid of honour cakes' are made with puff pastry, traditionally filled with cheese curd. Should not be frozen. Puff pastry does not freeze well after being baked.
  • Feb 3, 2015, 03:11 PM
    CravenMorhead
    Never heard of this custom. I heard cake, thought cake. Whoops. My bad.
  • Feb 3, 2015, 04:36 PM
    tickle
    It is a UK custom crave
  • Feb 4, 2015, 07:58 AM
    CravenMorhead
    Gotcha. I had heard of the grooms cake, a more southern USA custom that hasn't made it across the 49th (At least in the west), but this was a new one. It sounds like a fun tradition.
  • Feb 4, 2015, 03:08 PM
    tickle
    Crave, it is a Brit custom
  • Feb 5, 2015, 08:19 AM
    CravenMorhead
    Tickle. I got that the first time. I understand it is a British custom. I grok. I was mentioning that, while not hearing of it, I had heard of other wedding related cakes traditions from the south USA. Considering those, american and british alike, it is surprising that it hadn't made its way me to in Alberta. Consider the number of Ex-Pats I know, and that my grandmother was british and my wife spent three years working in a hotel there and you would expect would be exposed to this, and I had not heard of it. I think it is a fun tradition.

Please don't tell me it is a British custom again. I got that part.
  • Feb 5, 2015, 09:47 AM
    Curlyben
    Psst, no it's a specific type of cake.
    These are the classics: Botham’s of Whitby - Maids of Honour - 2 pack

Almond sponge in a crisp pastry shell.
  • Feb 5, 2015, 10:27 AM
    talaniman
    I have my own tradition concerning such goodies! :0
  • Feb 5, 2015, 05:58 PM
    tickle
    Sorry crave, I didn't read where it had been mentioned before or I would not have repeated.

My experience with these cakes is replicating from my mom's recipe.

THANK U CB for the link.

I seam to be rattling a lot of feathers around here and don't mean too
  • Feb 6, 2015, 12:10 AM
    Neelie
    I'm British and I was a bit surprised to read that 'Maids of Honour' were puff pastry filled with curd cheese, so I googled the recipe and there a few variations, apparently they were a favourite of Henry V111. My Mam made them from an old Bero recipe, sort crust pastry cases filled with a little jam and then topped with basic sponge mixture and cooked at gas mark 6 for 15-20 minutes. I'm sure these Maids of Honour could be frozen. There is also a recipe in the Bero book for curd tarts.
  • Feb 6, 2015, 03:26 AM
    tickle
    Sure they can be frozen, but won't be quite as nice when fresh. Puff pastry does not freeze well.
  • Feb 6, 2015, 03:47 AM
    Neelie
    @ Tickle... Agree, I tried freezing some pasties I made with Puff Pastry, wasn't successful at all! However I was referring to the ones my Mam made from the Bero book which are made with short crust pastry :)
  • Feb 6, 2015, 06:14 AM
    tickle
    Yes, that pastry freezes, short crust that is.