Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   History (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Why was Abraham Lincoln Depressed? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=302170)

• Jan 11, 2009, 02:46 PM
    HarajukuGirl
    Why was Abraham Lincoln Depressed?
    What were some reasons besides civial war for his depression?

No explinatios neeeded, just a few reasons to what made him go into depression.

* Yes I have read books and done my own reseaerch I just need help sorting out main reasons.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Wondergirl

This is why we go to public and school libraries, to find books and other resources to answer homework questions.

For book titles, you can do a Google-type search on Amazon.

If this is not homework, I apologize. I went back over your earlier threads and discovered you are in h.s. thus my suspicion that this question is indeed a homework one.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 03:02 PM
    HarajukuGirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    This is why we go to public and school libraries, to find books and other resources to answer homework questions.

For book titles, you can do a Google-type search on Amazon.

If this is not homework, I apologize. I went back over your earlier threads and discovered you are in h.s., thus my suspicion that this question is indeed a homework one.

HAHA.
    This website is called Ask ME Help Desk mean while no one helps.

Lets see, I HAVE been doing plenty of research. No need to make me sound lazy and ignorant.

I just had trouble summing up the main reasons besides the most obvious ones like his child hood and cival war.

Seriously, this website is bull.

I did my own reseaerch, read two books on the subject.
    If you can't help then don't answer my question with what I SHOULD do because that's not what I asked.
    I don't need snorty answers, telling me to do my own reseaerch because I already am/did do plenty of it.
    Not that easy to sum up all my resaerch. -___-
  • Jan 11, 2009, 03:12 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HarajukuGirl View Post
    HAHA.
    This website is called Ask ME Help Desk mean while no one helps.

Lets see, I HAVE been doing plenty of reasearch. No need to make me sound lazy and ignorant.

I just had trouble summing up the main reasons besides the most obvious ones like his child hood and cival war.

Seriously, this website is bull.

I did my own reseaerch, read two books on the subject.
    If you can't help then dont answer my question with what I SHOULD do because thats not what I asked.
    I dont need snorty answers, telling me to do my own reseaerch because I already am/did do plenty of it.
    Not that easy to sum up all my resaerch. -___-

There is a site rule that we do not do homework for questioners. You gave no explanation, so, after I researched your profile, what was I to think? You also gave no evidence that you had done any preliminary work on the subject and also did not mention what you had already found out.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 03:19 PM
    HarajukuGirl
    Yahoo answers FTW.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 03:22 PM
    Wondergirl

Quote:

HarajukuGirl disagrees: Not even relevant to my question.
    Of course, my response is relevant to your question!

Please, in the future, tell us where you have looked already, what you have found out, and what you still need to know. Then we will be very happy to help. We like to know you have already done some work on your homework question.

Also, adding more information to your very vague original question is not fair.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 03:28 PM
    HarajukuGirl

No it actually wasn't relevant at all.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 03:32 PM
    J_9
    Please understand that we have done our homework. We are willing to help you with yours, but it is against the TOS to do it for you.

If you show some initiative, and give us examples we'll be more than happy to debate them with you.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

No it actually wasnt relevant at all.

As I have said, I am more than glad to help if you tell me briefly what you've found out and why you're stuck/what you still need to know. How long does the paper have to be, and how much do you have so far? I don't understand the organization thing you mentioned. Googling brings up tons of sites about Lincoln and his depression.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 03:39 PM
    HarajukuGirl

I just got angry because you almost made me sound lazy and ignorant to my own work.

The paper is very simple, 1500 words.
    All my reasons are a mix of childhood, political, social and war based reasons.
    I'm trying to focus his depresson mainly on cival war. I have some solid reasons about civial war and depression but I figured if I heard a diffren reason, I can then do more reseaerch to help contribute.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 03:41 PM
    J_9
    It would be nice if you shared what you have.
  • Jan 11, 2009, 03:52 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

I just got angry because you almsot made me sound lazy and ignorant to my own work.

The paper is very simple, 1500 words.
    All my reasons are a mix of childhood, political, social and war based reasons.
    I'm trying to focus his depresson mainly on cival war. I have some solid reasons about civial war and depression but I figured if I heard a diffren reason, I can then do more reseaerch to help contribute.

Now we're getting somewhere! I can't read your mind, you know, and so have no idea what you've been doing for this paper. I knew only the tiny bit you posted. Thank you for adding on some information.

Give me (very briefly, in a word or two or three) what are your reasons why the Civil War depressed him (so I don't reinvent the wheel).

Don't forget -- historians have pretty much concluded that Lincoln's lifelong depression was screwed up brain chemistry. Unfortunately, back then there were no wonderful antidepressants like we have now. Just imagine what else Lincoln could have accomplished!
  • Jan 11, 2009, 04:34 PM
    HarajukuGirl
    Well for Civil war, was the fighting it self. American Vs America.

As he stated

“We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”
  • Jan 11, 2009, 04:36 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Well for Civil war, was the fighting it self. American Vs America.

As he stated

“We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”

Good. That's one reason for depression because of the war. What else?
  • Jan 11, 2009, 04:52 PM
    HarajukuGirl

For civial war?

The views for Slavery.

States versus federal rights.

Economic and social diffrences for North and south

And that is all I have for Civial War
  • Jan 11, 2009, 05:41 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

For civial war?

The views for Slavery.

States versus federal rights.

Economic and social diffrences for North and south

And that is all I have for Civial War

Suprsingly, it was hard to find Civial war reasons.

What about personal reasons for being depressed about the Civil War? How did the war affect him on a personal level?
  • Jan 11, 2009, 07:50 PM
    Wondergirl

More reasons for Lincoln's depression -- from library.thinkquest.org --

Civil War

Despite enormous pressure, loss of lives, battlefield setbacks, generals who were not ready to fight, assassination threats, etc, Lincoln stuck with his pro-union policy for four long years of the Civil War. Although some generals knew how to handle their armies in a war, many generals did not. Many generals were unprepared for full-fledged war. General Ulysses S. Grant was one of the few generals who knew what he was doing.

The generals, who didn't know what to expect in a war, were also the generals whose squads had the most loss of life. In addition to the inexperienced generals, many soldiers died from minor injuries that could be easily healed today because they didn't know a lot about medicine back then. Many arms and legs were amputated while soldiers were awake, and the saw they used for amputations were not cleaned between surgeries. Many more soldiers died from infections from the dirty surgical equipment and unclean conditions than actually died in battle.
  • Jan 12, 2009, 04:26 PM
    cozyk
    Having suffered from a chemical depression myself, I've always thought Lincoln had one himself. I can see it in other people. Of course I don't know him personally, :D it's just what I have read and seen. And didn't one of his sons die? THAT would do it too.
  • Jan 13, 2009, 09:19 AM
    George_1950
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post

Don't forget -- historians have pretty much concluded that Lincoln's lifelong depression was screwed up brain chemistry. Unfortunately, back then there were no wonderful antidepressants like we have now. Just imagine what else Lincoln could have accomplished!

I agree with the view that Lincoln's depression is/was 'brain chemistry', essentially untreated. Didn't he lose his mother and a sister at an early age? But this was common in those days. I would encourage a more interesting thesis (or sub-topic), such as "Why was Lincoln Successful?"
  • Jan 13, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Dr D
    Another contributing factor to Lincoln's depression was the fact that he was married to Mary Todd Lincoln, who was a bit of a nut-case.:)