Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Wiring Hot Tub and using a 50 Amp Double Pole GFCI Circiut Breaker (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=9195)

• Apr 20, 2005, 05:55 PM
    RIGHTWAY MAN
    Wiring Hot Tub and using a 50 Amp Double Pole GFCI Circiut Breaker
    :confused: I keep getting the GFCI breaker tripping after wiring my hot tub.

I wired 2 hot Red and Black to the proper terminals and the White to the neutral and the Bare Copper to the ground Post at the tub. I am using 6-3 w/G per instructions. Could the GFCI breaker be bad? When
    I wire without the GFCI breaker in the line everything works... this is using a 50AMP double pole breaker at the main panel.

HELP!
  • Apr 20, 2005, 07:50 PM
    labman
    GFCI's can be touchy. It is always possible one was bad out of the box. What kind of wire are you using? If I remember correctly, say TW will cause more nuisance tripping that THHN. Try installing the breaker and trying it with no wires connected, and then adding one more wire checking it each time, finally with the load. Also, if you try to feed a sub panel with the neutral and ground connected, it will trip.
  • Apr 21, 2005, 01:38 AM
    tkrussell
    The white or neutral from the hot tub controller must be connected to the sliver terminal that is on the GFI breaker. The GFI breaker has a short white wire that must connect to the neutral bar of the panel.

The neutral terminal on the breaker can be difficult to see right off. Look closely near the white pigtail and you should find it. If the neutrals are wired in any other fashion the breaker will trip.

If this has been done, then it is possible for the breaker to be defective.

Connecting the tub with a standard breaker for testing purposes is fine, however do not leave it, or at least do not get yourself in the tub. This GFI breaker must work properly before anyone uses the ub, so be patient, and be sure the problem is corrected.
  • Aug 4, 2007, 01:39 PM
    sharkwin1
    If there is a gfci breaker on the tub is it safe to wire the tub directly to a standard breaker circuit?
  • Aug 4, 2007, 01:59 PM
    sharkwin1
    I had the hot tub running perfectly this way but after running for about 2 hrs it just stopped completely and it doesn't seem to have tripped any breakers. Thanks!
  • Aug 4, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Stratmando
    Unplug or Disconnect Pump Motor, and turn on GFI. If it doesn't trip, Motor leaking to ground, or Corrosion, Rust. Try disconnecting blower or other accessories, Til Tripping stops. Repair or replace Parts that are leaking to ground.
  • Aug 4, 2007, 04:37 PM
    sharkwin1
    Thanks, I will give that a try. How could it be leaking to ground all of a sudden? Thanks a lot!
  • Aug 4, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Stratmando
    Corrosion and rust grow, saltwater air, if near ocean, and then you have the pool chemicals. Isolate problem(s), And Take apart, Majority of the time, the problem will be visible. Piece of rust shaking free from vibration could cause problem.
    And at the Spa, White needs to go to Neutral only, no connection to ground.
  • Oct 10, 2007, 09:24 PM
    snuffy52
    If your hot tub is over 50ft from the GFCI breaker you may be getting nuisance trips, caused by a slight imbalance in the current between your hot conductors and the neutral.
    The only way to resolve this problem is to buy a spa GFCI box and place it close to the hot tub (more than 5Ft away). Use a conventional breaker in the main panel to feed your GFCI at the spa.
  • Oct 30, 2013, 09:47 PM
    polipoli
    It is another scenario, when the heater is leaking current to the ground, and that can cause the breaker to trip. Without the GFCI the hot tub works fine but is nit safe, So, you need to replace the heater, which of course can be expensive. Good luck.
  • Oct 31, 2013, 04:48 AM
    hfcarson
    Poli... you realize you are replying to a six year old post?
    Always check the dates before joining... and welcome to the site!