Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Entertaining (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   How do you break into the modeling industry? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=109098)

• Jul 11, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Lolitah_xx
    How do u break into the modeling industry?
    I have been wanting to be a model since I was little and my mom has always took picutres of me and I love being in front of the camera, modeling is basically what I do best! Well I'm 15 turning 16 and I think its about time that I pursue it.. I was wondering if anyone who has experience can give me some advice like what to expect,how to make a portfolio, should I have an agent or manager and yea basically that kind of stuff
  • Jul 12, 2007, 04:03 PM
    XenoSapien
    I'm no expert, but yes, you need to get someone to do the photography/portfolio work. It will also help to have someone with you during every photo-shoot who will defend you. Self-exploitation is an ugly nasty business, lolitah_xx, you are going to need protection. Does your mom support this?

XenoSapien
  • Jul 12, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Lolitah_xx
    yea she's happy that I'm doinq it because it was always her dream to be a model and when she found out I wanted to be 1 she was happy so yes she supports it but she's not really doing anything to help =[
  • Jul 12, 2007, 04:37 PM
    XenoSapien
    Ok. It's very important to have her support. The next step seems to be getting a photographer, or someone who can do professional work. They don't have to be the one you hire; you can go to an independent photographer that will make a portfolio for you.

I'd recommend this approach. He/She will create your initial portfolio, and there will be no ties after you pay for the project. From there, it will be up to you to show it to other photographers, modeling agencies or promoters. Just please give me some kind of hint that you will be very careful and consider protection of your person. Don't take my words lightly on this; it really is a sick world that is nearly impossible to trust.

XenoSapien
  • Jul 12, 2007, 11:21 PM
    Clough
    I definitely agree about the parental support and approval at your age. You must have it. You also need to concentrate on your schooling and do your best at that. Most people who want to be models don't make it to the top in that industry. It is a lofty goal and worthy to aspire to such a thing, but I would be prepared to be successful at the other things in life that you might choose to do - have a boyfriend, get married, raise a family, etc. Remember that I am saying, if you choose to do those things. Being a model is not necessarily something that you will do for the rest of your life. A big part of being a model is how you look and carry yourself. Everyone changes in their shape and appearance over time. You may not be marketable as a model for all of your life, depending on what the employers are looking for in the models that they hire.

You may find some local agencies in your area that put out advertising for clothing or other things that you might investigate how to become a model for them. Doing this type of thing might be a supplement to an income that you already have in the future or even now.

Having a portfolio is important. The advice in the post above is great concerning that. I don't know that I agree that it is a sick world overall concerning that, but I do agree that you have to be very careful and look after your own interests and protect yourself, not only in the physical sense, but in the monetary sense as well. It's best to have someone who you know that you can trust to do any negotiating for you as far as fees paid and anything concerning a contract that you might sign.

You also might like to check out the information on the following sites. What you find may be helpful to you. I hope that it is.

What does it take to become a model

How to become a model

How to become a Model with Wolf's Models Guide

HOW TO BECOME A MODEL, Fashion Model, Teen Model or Male Model

MODELING AGENCY - HOW TO BECOME A MODEL